Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focusing PHRs

I just made a useful discovery for people like myself who are just starting out with this stuff (though it's entirely possible it has been noticed before on this forum -- if I'm being redundant, I apologize). I've been having trouble properly setting my PHR diodes in the AIXIZ housing. It's frustrating to finish building a laser, only to find that you can't focus it to more than a big purple smudge.

The problem, of course, is that the LD is too far from the lens. You can get another couple of millimeters' clearance on the lens nut if you remove the knurled adjustment washer at the end, making it perfectly focusable -- even if the diode isn't set all the way. One only has to sacrifice a little convenience (it's a bit harder to screw in/out the lens).

Like so:
2015-knobless-lens-nut.jpg

Last edited:

That little tip has been talked about on here. But atleast you figured it out on your own.

You also can use a very small washers to act like a spacers in between the lens nut.
Or you can simply back out the lens a few turns, and use a dab of lock-tite or glue to get your lens closer to the diode.

Last edited:
Oh ya, good point. There's plenty of threading left to attach the knob, if you glue it...The above module is also using the spring from a retractable ballpoint pen, because I lost its original one :D

I know this thread is old but I can't find anything else around on it even though there are supposedly threads on this issue. There has to be a better way other than gluing the focus adapter on with some room in there...

if your having trouble with a standard Aixiz mod. and standard lens with a PHR diode then its not pressed in all the way.

if your having trouble with a standard Aixiz mod. and standard lens with a PHR diode then its not pressed in all the way.

I never even thought I might not have it set in there properly...I used a diode press tool and it seemed to click into place. I didn't want to push too hard as I was afraid to break the diode. How much force can these bad boys take for next time I make one of these? Should I just keep forcing it until it's recessed nicely?

I never even thought I might not have it set in there properly...I used a diode press tool and it seemed to click into place. I didn't want to push too hard as I was afraid to break the diode. How much force can these bad boys take for next time I make one of these? Should I just keep forcing it until it's recessed nicely?

There is a thread written in detail about this. I use a small screwdriver to scrap off the Chrome at the lip area it does 2 things it gets you to the bear metal for better thermal transfer and some room for a still snug, but not crushingly so.