Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Focusing Brass DPSS modules

Hey guys,

This is a probably a really silly question, but hey I am a n00b :p
I see a lot of hosts that have adjustable focus rings and I am wondering if you can use a say 532nm 12mm Brass module with these host kits?

Thanks in advance :thanks:

:lasergun:

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. your provided information is easy to understand and implement.

Last edited:

NKO29

WOT ^
It is possible to do, i have modified a penlaser to do this... Does your module have an extended black plastic lens part?

Last edited:
The 532nm modules can be made focusable. I believe it was Pman who recently made a post entirely
dedicated to adding a focusing ability to the "5mW" pens. It involves extending the lens barrel on the
frontmost section. It's buried somewhere in the first couple pages of one of the specific wavelength
forums.

That host is the "SD303" which is identical to Lazerer LZCS and similar to Laser 301's. I think if the power switch is on the driver itself then that host might be workable, but the switch needs to be aligned with the button or else it probably won't work. I've managed to take these lasers apart, remove the heatsink and module, and then reinstall it; the lasers ended up working just fine, but alignment of switch and button was a problem.

The driver must be mounted close to the diode/DPSS module and every pre-made driver/diode/module setup will have slightly different lead lengths, which can be enough to mess with the switch/button alignment.

The driver board also needs to be supported below and ideally on the sides... can be easy, just put a stiff piece of foam or some folded cardboard under the board... but can also be hard to get the supporting material in there due to the confined space. There is a non-negligible risk of ripping components off the board when doing that, it never happened to me, but the potential is clearly there.

All of that translates into "pain in the ass." As much as I love the LZCS/SD303 host and my Lazerers (I carry my 450 and 532 everywhere), I've more or less given up on using this host for DIY (the Chinese version, anyway), as it is too hard to work on.

You might look into a C6 or similar host, I do know that some members have built DPSS units in these hosts but I am unable to advise on specifics. But I definitely can't recommend the SD303/LZCS host as a DIY platform - it is not DIY friendly at all.

Adaptable Host for 12mm (Green) Laser Modules - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

Usually these types of kits, you remove the final lens from the brass module and install it into the laser host.

I've not used something like this, but been eyeing this host for a while.

Last edited: