Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

focusable vs. non-focusable

Hello, I've decided to buy either a 150 mW or a 200 mW green laser from Rayfoss, but i have a couple questions first.
I am interested in burning stuff, so would the 150mW Focusable Green Laser Pointer be better than the 150mW Green laser torch?
Also both of those 150mW lasers I just mentioned above are $125, is it worth is to upgrade to the 200mW version of either of those for only $25 dollars more?

Here are the links to both the 150mW green lasers:
Focusable:
Rayfoss

Non-focusable:
Rayfoss

I appreciate any input, Thanks!

~David

ZRTMWA

Might as well just get focusable. Even if it just focus's out like a flashlight, as many cheap chinese lasers do, it is the same price/size/power as the non-focusable laser. Plus if it does focus in the yes, it will be better for burning.

I would probably not spend $25 more because I seriously doubt the advertised 200mW output power on those lasers. It would most likely be around 150mW mybe 10-20mW higher before you take IR into account.

Hey thanks for the reply, i woll probaby go ahead and buy the 150 mW focusable laser. is there any advantage to having the non-focusable laser? i also need to buy goggles; i heard that dragon lasers sells good inexpensive lasers, so is that the best place?

thanks again

The lens on a focusable laser will produce more "artifacts" around the beam.
This becomes much more apparent if you get a little dust on the focusing lens. Better to get it there, then on the modules lens, I guess. LOL
I also have read reports of "halos" with focusable 532nm lasers.
It depends on the quality of your unit. Most cheap Chinese ones have such bad divergence that it really doesn't matter.
As others have stated, if you want to use it for burning, go with the focusing one

BTW:VERY IMPORTANT: Don't forget to buy 532nm safety glasses, you will need them for burning,

so they say
Who's "they"?!?

Of my three 532nm lasers, my "focusable" 70mW LP has the tightest divergence @1.2mrad, which is almost impossible to beat.

On the flip-side / for the life of me, I cannot even begin to guess what turning a very tight beam into a freakin' flashlight could possible bring... :thinking:
It's not like you can use 532nm to fluoresce anything... :rolleyes:

In the case of the Rayfoss, there's no price difference, but in my case, I paid an extra $25 for the focusable model...

EDIT: Oh and mine can't be focused into a smaller point, making it unsuitable for burning. Green flashlight, anyone...?