Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Focus mod for green lasers: some questions

zerafiel

So is there anything I need to know to do a focus mod for a 532nm laser or can I just take an already collimated laser and...

slap 2 lenses in front
center the beam on the lenses
align the lenses at ~2f
make one of the lenses adjustable

Is this all there is to it?

Some questions...

What sort of lenses are recommended?
Plano-concave?
Can I just use the plastic lenses from Aixiz housings?
Or are they only coated for 650nm?
How about Aixiz glass lenses?

Any help would be appreciated.

o_DEATH_ANG3L_o

Depends on what you are trying to do here. If you are trying to get a nice tight beam to burn stuff, and you dont care about carrying a magnifying glass around then just use that. :p

zerafiel

The idea is to make a module attached to the laser. So a magnifying glass is kinda big and unsteady. Besides I can get the same effect using a lens cap set which I have. Just that the focal length is fixed and irritatingly near.

zerafiel

Thanks for the link. hmm 4meter double convex could be very useful but the optotronics site doesn't say anything about the material or if it is AR coated.

I think I will go with a Galilean beam expander design with a fixed plano concave and adjustable convex/plano-convex lens

Maybe nova's -8mm plano concave + a 26mm meniscus from nova might give me a 3x beam expander

other options 30mm plano convex from nova
or 35mm double convex from opto (don't think I'll spend up to $25 though)