Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flourescence dangerous?

Well got my BR set up, finally, and its pretty damn birght and the beam is easily visible. When shining it around, and realizing how it flouresces everything, I was wondering if its dangerous? I mean a 100 mW dot on a wall thorugh suitable lenses is not dangerous, but when it floursces, certain colors can go right through BR specific lenses.... Or, as i come to htink of it, isnt it BR light that is reaching my eyes, since flouresence is a property of the object? THese reflections( off of normal objects, not reflective surfaces) are reallly bright, and my eyes hurt a bit  :-/

Dont mind that many different ways I spelt flour-whatever....

No I don't think so. Flourescence is just the absorbtion of UV light (400nM and lower) and exciting certian chemicals in higher energy state to then re-emit  visible photon.. which is what your eye can see.
The dot iss pretty bright but it isn't particularly dangerous.. unless you
shining it at a reflective surface.  

if the blue ray beam passes throught a lense or any opaque material it is still potentially dangerous.

Just a thought.. you can use a Blue ray to optically pump a dye laser ( anti freeze works well.. highlighters work even better (contain sodium flourescene).. try and see

I say just be careful and try not to view the dot up too close. Honestly, I don't think it should be a problem, but like I said, don't view the dot up close with highly fluorescent objects. Also, you spell it flUOrescence.

As long as you aren't staring at the fluorescing dot for long you should be fine. It does catch you off guard though when a dim dot turns into a very bright dot!

Maelstrom said:
Alright... It does give you one hell of a headache though :eek:
Tell me about it, I was playing around with my 170mW greenie when I was wearing goggles and I pointed it at something that made it fluoresce yellow from a foot or two away from my face, that was not pleasant! :(

daguin

Maelstrom said:
Alright... It does give you one hell of a headache though :eek:

Yeah. The light constantly changing intensity based on how much things fluoresce along with the eye's difficulty focusing on the 405nm wavelength leads to eye fatigue faster than usual.

Peace,
dave

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
I say just be careful and try not to view the dot up too close. Honestly, I don't think it should be a problem, but like I said, don't view the dot up close with highly fluorescent objects. Also, you spell it flUOrescence.

Spelling today isn't my strong point... Fluorecence it is. :) ;D :D

daguin

Seoul_lasers said:
[quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1215482907/0#2 date=1215483990]I say just be careful and try not to view the dot up too close. Honestly, I don't think it should be a problem, but like I said, don't view the dot up close with highly fluorescent objects. Also, you spell it flUOrescence.

Spelling today isn't my strong point... [highlight]Fluorecence [/highlight]it is. :) ;D :D[/quote]

I have no idea if that was intentional or not, but it made me spit my drink all over my keyboard. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Peace,
dave

(I know. I'm weird.)

666DAN

Fluorecence is a good thing, it's a drop in energy state :) We've tried explaing it to a work colleague who refuses to wear sunscreen as he's convinced UV A + B on your skin is being converted to UV C or higher by the zinc oxide, if only it were true....bountiful "free" energy from the sun and sun screen bumping it up an energy state or two :rofl:

daguin said:
[quote author=Seoul_lasers link=1215482907/0#7 date=1215490394][quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1215482907/0#2 date=1215483990]I say just be careful and try not to view the dot up too close. Honestly, I don't think it should be a problem, but like I said, don't view the dot up close with highly fluorescent objects. Also, you spell it flUOrescence.

Spelling today isn't my strong point... [highlight]Fluorecence [/highlight]it is. :) ;D :D[/quote]

I have no idea if that was intentional or not, but it made me spit my drink all over my keyboard. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Peace,
dave

(I know. I'm weird.)[/quote]
LOL I just noticed. Sorry for partial off topic, but we're being somewhat helpful.. right?