Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Florida first time laser buyer... now hooked.

Ok, to start with I never… ever wanted a laser. I’ve got one on my duty weapon as part of the light system but other than that they just seemed like toys.

Then my son brought one home from some street vender in Taiwan while he was overseas with an adjustable lens; the kind that looks like a colidascope when turned. Then he took off the colidascope lens and I could not believe the brightness of this $6.00 green laser. The label read that it was <300mW according the warning sticker.

After a quick internet search I found that lasers over 200mW are capeable of lighting matches. This laser wouldn’t light a match, melt plastic, or pop balloons. Too late… I was hooked.

Howdy Ken and Welcome to the Forum :wave:
Have fun and be safe :)

Sounds like you are off on the right foot...

Aye, welcome!

Just be aware; lasers at 200mW can cause permanent blind spots in less time than it takes to blink. We want our hobby to stay legal and all who enjoy it to keep both their eyes functional. I'm sure you'll hear it mentioned 1000x while here, but goggles are a must. We don't just say it to be a pain in the ass, we have members who have had the unthinkable happen and who are now partially blinded.

Have fun, happy reading, and safe lasing!

In hindsight I wish I had find this forum before jumping onto a site in China and ordering. Order 2 green lasers claiming 300mW and a second one listed at 1000mW. I have them in hand now and the 300mW will melt plastic and smoke dark paper; cost $45.00 including shipping. The supposed 1000mW is bright but doesn't melt or burn anything (paid $139.00 including shipping). I am now wanting a laser tester just to find my output actually is on these two. The 1000mW laser came with a 18650 li-ion rechargeable battery and am hoping it's not fully charged. Oh yeah, it didn't come with a charger so had to order one of those now.

Live and learn. I'm off to start reading all the stickies and advise threads.

Ken,

It's very possible with the chinese sellers that the $45 300mW unit may be more powerful than the "1000mW" $139 one indeed...

Did you pay on credit card? I'm guessing probably not... If so, you may have some recourse... but with stuff like lasers, it's tricky.

Where are you located? A member could probably meter them for you.

For the $45, you probably at least got your money's worth... With the cheap discount chinese sellers the ratio you want to look at is "pay for power" and completely disregard advertised power. That said, if for some reason the 1000mW unit comes in at ~150-200mW, you probably "got your moneys worth" even if it was misadvertised, since that's around what "legit" 150-200mW units go for. Now if its 30mW, yeah... that's gonna be a bummer.

Where are you? Someone here may be able to test it and evaluate them. What ones / what site did you order from?

Where are you in Florida, Im at Clearwater, I dont have a LPM though :(. Be careful when buying from Chinese drop shippers most of them are dishonest and you will get crap. Stick to the trusted ones like Olike, Lazerer, and Rayfoss. Laserglow,CNI, and DragonLasers are also trusted, but very expensive. You do get what you pay for though.

Last edited:

Linux

I'm in Hudson FL. My first Laser came in today from OLike.
I also bought 2 pairs of safety goggles from laser2go, which arrived yesterday.

The charger has an overseas power connector. I'll need to get an adapter on Monday.
I don't even know if the battery is charged so I haven't tried to fire it up yet.

C'est la vie.

Why dont you put the battery in and try it anyway? Maybe its charged. Im pretty sure usually they are shipped charged.

1firstsupermarket: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Shipping is where I ordered and received them (I put it that way because I was surprised when they actually showed up); hope it's alright to post the link. I'm in central Florida, Brevard County. The rechargeable battery that came with the labeled 1000mW laser ran it fine and it was very bright but, since it didn't seem to match the 300mW performance I was hoping it might be a weak battery. Guess I'll have to wait for the battery charger to arrive before I'll know for sure. Purchase was made via pay-pal so I could file a claim but I still don't have proof it's not "as advertised" at this point.

Last edited:

Linux

I did and it was.

I found it wasn't too much fun inside w/ the goggles on.
Outside was a very awesome experience.

However, I was constantly scanning the skies/area. It felt like I was wielding a weapon and I was really concerned about keeping others safe.

I'm going to find somewhere more isolated tomorrow.

1firstsupermarket: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Shipping is where I ordered and received them (I put it that way because I was surprised when they actually showed up); hope it's alright to post the link. I'm in central Florida, Brevard County. The rechargeable battery that came with the labeled 1000mW laser ran it fine and it was very bright but, since it didn't seem to match the 300mW performance I was hoping it might be a weak battery. Guess I'll have to wait for the battery charger to arrive before I'll know for sure. Purchase was made via pay-pal so I could file a claim but I still don't have proof it's not "as advertised" at this point.
Hello and welcome aboard, your on the opposite coast from me, otherwise I'd be glad to meter the Lasers for you. Stick with the well known name companies you'll find on here and you'll be just fine.

Thanks for the warm welcome, still waiting on my 18650 Li-Ion battery charger so I can see if I got what paid for. Have not found anyone who stocks these batteries. I know the battery that came with the 1000mW made the laser smoke black plastic but am hoping it's a weak battery because I would think if it's a true 1000mW laser it would do more than smoke plastic.

Ken- why not just put your location in your profile so someone local to you can help. many fine members in Florida. WELCOME and always be safe- watch out for the IR in those green cheap lasers ---enjoy the forum.

BTW

Some good deals on lasers are right here on LPF. see the reviews and BS&T.

hak

Last edited:
Profile updated.

Sorry BS&T? (found it, buy sell & trade).

Last edited:
You would really enjoy attending a LEM. (laser enthuasists meet)
there is usually one near Orlando every year==FLEM.
Great lasershow to see in private setting and always someone with a meter and help to be had.

hak