Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

flashlioght with driver?

jake21 said:
dorcy jr has a boost driver in them
The Dorcy junior has driver built into it? Why do they have a driver in it for an led? Will the driver work on the Soney 16x laser?

redelman said:
[quote author=jake21 link=1222112910/0#1 date=1222219713]dorcy jr has a boost driver in them
The Dorcy junior has driver built into it? Why do they have a driver in it for an led? Will the driver work on the Soney 16x laser?[/quote]
Hehe, no...

LED drivers usually don't work with laser diodes.

I was kind of wondering about this too, I recently bought the Dorcy Jr from Stonetek and it came with a diode. I'm not sure where to install it or what capabilities it will allow me. I just got done assembling the fusion driver a little bit ago.

undergrounddlz said:
I was kind of wondering about this too, I recently bought the Dorcy Jr from Stonetek and it came with a diode. I'm not sure where to install it or what capabilities it will allow me. I just got done assembling the fusion driver a little bit ago.
http://mysite.verizon.net/grall/darkhorsecustom/id47.html

Buy the full body heatsink, and remove EVERYTHING from the dorcy jr. Under the "star" LED, there is a black chip with a hole (where the spring goes), remove this, and you will see a circular driver. Remove that from under. Then you install your driver+diode into the heatsink, solder a spring to the + contact of the battery side of the driver, and you're done! It is a red diode, right?

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=undergrounddlz link=1222112910/0#4 date=1224305511]I was kind of wondering about this too, I recently bought the Dorcy Jr from Stonetek and it came with a diode. I'm not sure where to install it or what capabilities it will allow me. I just got done assembling the fusion driver a little bit ago.

Buy the full body heatsink, and remove EVERYTHING from the dorcy jr. Under the "star" LED, there is a black chip with a hole (where the spring goes), remove this, and you will see a circular driver. Remove that from under. Then you install your driver+diode into the heatsink, solder a spring to the + contact of the battery side of the driver, and you're done! It is a red diode, right?[/quote]

Sweet! Thank you so much. I already ordered a heatsink from Stonetek with my order, its the smaller Dark Horse one, the one you mentioned basically holds the driver right? So it wont short or anything. Alright, I am going to do this, and ill let you know if it works or not. And yes, its a 16x Sony from Stonetek.

undergrounddlz said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1222112910/0#5 date=1224354339][quote author=undergrounddlz link=1222112910/0#4 date=1224305511]I was kind of wondering about this too, I recently bought the Dorcy Jr from Stonetek and it came with a diode. I'm not sure where to install it or what capabilities it will allow me. I just got done assembling the fusion driver a little bit ago.

Buy the full body heatsink, and remove EVERYTHING from the dorcy jr. Under the "star" LED, there is a black chip with a hole (where the spring goes), remove this, and you will see a circular driver. Remove that from under. Then you install your driver+diode into the heatsink, solder a spring to the + contact of the battery side of the driver, and you're done! It is a red diode, right?[/quote]

Sweet! Thank you so much. I already ordered a heatsink from Stonetek with my order, its the smaller Dark Horse one, the one you mentioned basically holds the driver right? So it wont short or anything. Alright, I am going to do this, and ill let you know if it works or not. And yes, its a 16x Sony from Stonetek.[/quote]

check this out. http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1181635652/0#0

it's a tutorial on how to build the Dorcy laser (tutorial made by Kenom). Theres a video that Kenom made as well which is very helpful.
here's the video
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1120132/diy_dorcy_burning_red_laser/

thanks,
Kendall

Thanks again! But it is too late, I have failed. I measured the output of my driver to verify it is working, tried switching around the + and - to see if maybe I have mixed them up.. Nothing. I would post a pic but this forum wont let me, I have to have at least 10 posts.

So im thinking my laser diode is destroyed. Or I have the + and - pins soldered wrong on the diode. Any way I can like hook a 9 v. up to it just to see if it works?

UPDATE: ok never mind after some research I just figured out that I did not solder the wires onto the right + and - on the diode... Stupid me. I used a different source with the wrong info.

UPDATE: I have a working laser!! Only it is very weak... I can see it on the wall barely. Maybe I cannot run a fusion driver with a 3 volt battery that came with the dorcy.. Please help?

don't hook up your diode to a 9V battery. horrible idea

and it sounds like you probably fried your laser diode by hooking it up incorrectly, or by using the soldering gun too much and gave the diode too much heat, which would also fry it.

you should check out the specs of the fusion driver. whoever made it should have input voltage specifications and you can see if 3V is within range for it. and FYI, if you're using the internal boost driver in the Dorcy flashlight, it boosts the 3V to about 5V.

good luck..

sk8er4514 said:
don't hook up your diode to a 9V battery. horrible idea

and it sounds like you probably fried your laser diode by hooking it up incorrectly, or by using the soldering gun too much and gave the diode too much heat, which would also fry it.

you should check out the specs of the fusion driver. whoever made it should have input voltage specifications and you can see if 3V is within range for it. and FYI, if you're using the internal boost driver in the Dorcy flashlight, it boosts the 3V to about 5V.

good luck..

Ok lol I know everyone here thinks im a total retard, but I just got it to work and it was amazing! I misread what Spyderz20x6 was trying to tell me, I decided to use the driver that is in the dorcy for the +, with the fusion driver. And yes, the input voltage specifications were 9 volt capable to like 2 or something I don't remember.

but yeah, im just scared because I dont have safety glasses, so I dont want to blind myself. but I was like at least 30 ft back and since I dont have it focused it was a huge red circle.

thanks guys.