Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fitting module into host

Ok, I know I'm sounding like a total noob here, but how hard is it fitting, say, a 50mW (12mm diameter) module into a rayfoss waterproof torch host (fits 12mm modules? Would I really need a vice or something for it? And I've heard some people talking about "bypassing the switch". What is that and do I absolutely need to do that?

And all I'll really need to build a laser is those two things right, the 50mW module from o-like and the rayfoss host?

Geez what a noob I am

Thanks

Krutz

i dont have the host, but from what i read about hosts offered here in general, you slide the module in and secure it with a holding screw, thats all.
perhaps you mix it up with inserting a 5.6mm bare laserdiode in an aixiz housing, where you need a vice.

switch: when you get the module, you have to push the switch to lase. in your host, you want to use the hosts switch instead, you cant even reach the modules switch. therefore you short it, so its "on" always. its as simple as connecting the switch's pins with a wire soldered on. you should have a little experience with soldering, though. but you could of course give it to a friend to solder too. no big thing.

have fun, good luck!

manuel

Hi, no that is incorrect Krutz. Sorry Byrnz93 about the laser.. but i will still try help you out.. im not on much any more but if i see a post from you i will help you out.

First off just order the rayfoss host (in description add which color you want), then order the module (in the description add that you want a print or email of the power output of your module).

once they arrive there are a few things you have to do... first bypass the switch, this allows the laser to be turned on with out clicking the switch on the driver, this is done with a small peice of wire soldered to the two points. Next put a dab of hot glue on the solder points, so they dont short if they touch some thing. Test that the laser works with the switch bypassed (optional). Then press fit the module into the host, this can be done many ways, but the easiest way is with a vice. Just use a scrap peice of metal and a wooden block (metal side for the module, wooden for the end of the host). Take the end (clicky bit) off and also the front bit... put the assembly inbetween the wood and metal and then start to SLOWLY squeeze, make sure the module is straight at all times and that the moudle has equal clearance around its self and the host... then add batteries and its done.

For more info read the review/tut in my sig..

Bye for now -Adrian

Hi, no that is incorrect Krutz. Sorry Byrnz93 about the laser.. but i will still try help you out.. im not on much any more but if i see a post from you i will help you out.

First off just order the rayfoss host (in description add which color you want), then order the module (in the description add that you want a print or email of the power output of your module).

once they arrive there are a few things you have to do... first bypass the switch, this allows the laser to be turned on with out clicking the switch on the driver, this is done with a small peice of wire soldered to the two points. Next put a dab of hot glue on the solder points, so they dont short if they touch some thing. Test that the laser works with the switch bypassed (optional). Then press fit the module into the host, this can be done many ways, but the easiest way is with a vice. Just use a scrap peice of metal and a wooden block (metal side for the module, wooden for the end of the host). Take the end (clicky bit) off and also the front bit... put the assembly inbetween the wood and metal and then start to SLOWLY squeeze, make sure the module is straight at all times and that the moudle has equal clearance around its self and the host... then add batteries and its done.

For more info read the review/tut in my sig..

Bye for now -Adrian
Hey bobhaha thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
Do you have to solder the wire on, or could you just place it on to where it needs to go and hot glue it on, making sure the ends of the wire are still pressed against the points? If I can't do that I might go out and buy a soldering iron then
Thanks!

It is recommended you solder them on.. a cheap soldering iron is around $10 at most.. just grab one and some thin solder (around 1-2mm thick) and go from there.

any more questions dont hesitate to ask. I will try be on as often as i can to help you out. but after my exams i might take some time off. -Adrian

Ok i think i'll do that.

Im guessing that you keep checking if the front bit of the host and the battery and back bit fit on after you press fit the module in and adjust it accordingly? Or do you keep pressing it in until the little circuit board part is completely sticking out?

Thank you so much, this is the last thing I need to know.

Once again, thank you!

you should press fit the module in.. untill the top bit can fully be screwed down.. when that happens you shoulcd then check if the battery makes good contact.. if not press it a bit more (small amounts is the key) until it all lines up. then your done..

btw are you doing this your self.. if so good on you! this is the best way to learn :D be sure to post your pics for every one to see!

Ok thanks for that.

Yeah I decided to do it myself, at least this way I'll have some knowledge that I'll be able to use if I decide to make another one.

Thanks

Np :D good work man! hope it turns out great! any more questions ill be happy to help!

-Adrian

Alexie

Hi, sorry but i was reading about fitting the host and when you said the top bit needs to be pushed untill it can be fully screwed down. what needs to be screwed down. do u mean the front lens ?????? thanks

The top must bit of the host! check my review in my sig.. its a full review and tut all rolled into one! that might give you a better idea!

hope that helped -Adrian

how do i get to sig, im new to this forum! sorry

See how it says "50mW green in Rayfoss host" in green at near the bottom of his post. There is a link directly beneath that text that says "Review here".