Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First red built

Hi all,

I'm posting my first red build. I've seen some people using the C3 as a host and since I really like those small builds I decided to give it a go.

Host: C3 ultrafire stainless steel
Diode: Lpc-826
Driver: Flexdrive V5

I ordered the heatsink from mrcrouse. It is a bit of a tight fit but that's exactly how I wanted it :) The copper module came from DTR and I got the flexdrive, diode press and flux from flaminpyro.

I've made a simple testload myself and set the driver current. When I assembled the laser it did not work due to a faulty contact board. During disassembly the pot of the flexdrive came off so I could not set my current anymore :( Luckily by connecting the flexdrive's resistors in a certain way I was able to get an output of 490 mA, which should be fine for a lpc-826 diode. I don't know much about electronics but everything seemed to have worked out this way. I wrapped the drive in some electrical tape and pushed it in the pill carefully.

Connecting the driver to the diode was pretty straightforward thanks to the flux :) Finally the driver and diode were put into the host while making sure I wasn't twisting the wires that run from the driver to the diode. See below for some pictures of the build.

I was hoping that the intensity of the beam and dot would be close to my 50mW green. Sadly this is not the case. I can see the beam well enough in the dark but it is definitely not as bright as my green. For my next build I'll use a 638 single mode. That should be a bit brighter than this build I think.

Cheers

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

IsaacT

Congratulations on your first red build!!! Couple questions:

1. Can you burn stuff with it? At the current setting it should be outputting close to 300mW.
2. Have you thought about using a site like photobucket? You can upload them there and then you can easily embed the photos in the post so that people don't have to click on them.

Anyway, glad to see you are enjoying your hobby :)

I'll look into that photobucket. I'm waiting for some decent safety glasses to arrive. They should be here within a few days and then I'll start burning things. I'll get some balloons and also test on a cd case. I suppose it should be able to burn that.

Looks great JoopdeWolf! Congratulations on your first red. Sweet host, thanks for sharing your build process.

~ LB

NKO29

Nice my first was a lpc... at 200mA they can easily burn... so at more than double that then for sure!

Very nice. I will be right behind you with my own first build with a diode to be extracted from the DVD burner of an old laptop.

Great! The pot thingy happened to me too... I started messing with it and in the end, I removed one of the resistors...
Its set at 430mA now. When I build a host for it I'll post more pics...

(My camera catches it as yellow :thinking:)

@Leodahsan

Yes I' dont like that pot at all it comes of quite easily :( Unfortunately my laser LEDed already. I'm not sure what happened but I think it must be the flexdrive and messing around with it too much. It's a bit strange as the laser was working decently for quite a while. I've ordered a new flexdrive and have a new lpc already pressed. So hopefully this time everything will be fine and I wont destroy the pot.

I doubt its the Flex. Maybe the diode you got were a little weaker. Was it a high speed dvd burner? I got mine from a GSA-H12N and its running @ 430mA (flexdrive) and it rocks.

I used the 1.2mm screwdriver, from a kit like this:
sku_149657_1.jpg

Its the perfect size for the pot. I got the kit locally for around $2, with 10 pieces.

If you're afraid to damage the pot, you could get a small piece of soldering tin, and crush one end with a plier, it will look like a very small screwdriver... :)

Thanks for the advice. It was a LPC-826 which i think should have been perfectly fine with that current. I have some small screwdrivers made for the screws in an iphone/macbook but they don't seem to fit the pot very well... I'll try that trick with the tin next time and if that wont work i'll try to find a screwdriver that fits perfectly. I've probably weakened the pot last time and that's why it came off so easily :(

lovely little build .. mine made 280 mw at 478 with a glass three element batteries made a difference too !

The tin trick works... specially if you use a cutting plier for making the tip square.

If you're very careful, you can use a table knife TIP, when broken, the sharp tip looks like an screwdriver (sharp!)

Good luck...

Btw I resetted the current at my reddie... its set @ ~520mA and still ok. I didn't see a big improvement on power but, anyways. Depending on angle I can see the beam indoors :wave:
-Flexdrive @ 520mA
-Unknown diode (from LG GSA-H12N), manually decanned
-Solarforce L2P temp. host.
I'll post a review later

Last edited:
Yes those 660nm diodes aren't very visible to me too but I really like the color. I think it looks nicer than the 635 single mode I build recently.

Looking forward to your review.

What single mode 635 you built? (diode model)
I'm thinking about building a 635 but I'll look into another builds first...

Really nice videos and picture. I really like it this information is very useful to me.

The 635's are awesome IMO, I use the screwdriver for spectacles, they work pretty good, Ive just built a red ice using a 826 LD set at 450
and it's a nice burner :)

Last edited: