Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First project, need assistance?

Most of you are probably gonna laugh at me when I say this: I got inspiration from this, and the parts, from Kipkay videos. Seems like he's a little notorious.

At any rate, I have an AiXiZ 405/445nm, 1W Blue Laser Mini Driver, and the accompanying blue laser diode to go with it. I wanted this to be my first build, and a rather portable one at that.

Just for start experience, I guess. And to give me something to do over the summer, while I look for a job because my seasoning training ended thanks to budget cuts in the USAFR!

So I've seen someone else's project involving this laser, which showed me how to properly wire the dang thing to the driver and to a battery.

The problem is, it doesn't have a switch. I don't want the laser to be burning continuously, otherwise it'd burn itself out, yah? So I guess, how would I go about making this thing into a proper pocket laser, with a switch?

Some pics of your current project would be helpful.

The easiest thing you can do is purchase a pre-made host/heatsink kit from one of the members here. It would have the switch, plus your body housing, and a heatsink to keep your diode cool.

Just put behind you, anything you saw or heard from Kipkay.

Unfortunately, all there is are parts right now. Literally. Just the driver, batteries, and then the diode itself.

So I know how to assemble and solder the thing to where it'll work. Just not totally sure on how to get a switch into the admittedly simply circuit. But what you have suggested sounds like a good idea.

Who on these forums sells the heatsink/host kit?

Last edited:
Just go to the B/S/T or the Laser pro Shop sections and you'll find plenty there :)

It's personal preference really, the C6 hosts seem quite popular, alternatively you could pick you own torch/Host and ask one of the machinists on here to do a heatsink for you

Trying to sift through some of the stuff now, still sorta confused on what to look for...

I see a lot of C3 information, not C6...and honestly, I'm not really looking for anything spectacular. More like just something to get this project started.

What driver have you got, this will determine what host to buy, what are the dimensions of the driver ?

Last edited:
Driver is the AIX-445-D, 10.08mm*22.5mm. Spring terminal adds 6.5mm for 29mm.

Aww, crap...a spring contact driver...blech! Get a Kryton Groove. And make damned sure you've epoxied that driver in place after soldering it on to your diode.

I'm not sure of the dimentions of the heatsinks, best bet it to ask the seller

To get a better idea of what you might need have a look HERE

This guy sells heatsinks, just google the host and pick one you like or if you want a basic kit try HERE

Last edited:
The link you gave was for a 5mW Red that already had a driver soldered on to it

Wait, really? Well, dangit. So I bought a driver for no need lol!

Dang, kipkay's parts list is all sorts of crazy then...well. Since I apparently don't need a driver for the laser then, and the module itself is 8mm across, what do you recommend? XD