Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First post, I'm making a BR laser pointer.

As stated, this is my first post here and I have just ordered the parts to build a BluRay laser pointer. Ill start with a parts list.

Diodes. Figured I'd get the 2 pack in case I mess up the first time.
PHR805T 120mW 405nm TO18 Laser Diode/Violet Laser Diode/2 Pcs | eBay
PHR-805T diodes.

Driver. Just a basic driver. I'm going to bypass the original button.
405nm 100-300mw Laser Diode Driver Reverse Protection | eBay
Going to set it at about 110-120mw.

Lens/housing. I'm going to give this little guy a shot. See what quality it is.
1845 House Housing Case W. Plastic Lens for Laser Diode | eBay

I started out with all cheap parts since it is my first build. I want to be able to trash it if it makes me too angry and I cant trash It if I spent good money on it. I plan on putting all of this together and putting the module inside of an old led flashlight. Im going to pull the olf flashlight apart and take the smd led out to mod into another flashlight and then retrofit the laser module into my flashlight housing. It has a button on the rear and a 3AAA battery pack. 4.5 volts should work niceley, but I may upgrade to a single battery at some point. What do you guys think so far?

From hong kong... no offense but try a pair from ur home country that have at least passed the tests on home soil with the same laws etc.

Normally I wouldn't recommend any cheap goggles, but someone from the forums tested these ones and found them to be pretty great.
Amazon.com: Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, Black Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens: Home Improvement

Here's his test of them.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/cheap-safety-glasses-tested-71621.html

Also, that driver pumps up to 400mA, so make sure you have it set low enough. I don't know why that eBay auction says 280mA, that is not true. Check this thread for a test of the PHR-805t's
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/phr-805-405nm-diodes-replace-phr-803ts-62591.html

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just ordered the same diodes. Ordered on the 13th and should be here by the 27th. I went with a linear driver by a forum member name anthot.

Last edited:
Normally I wouldn't recommend any cheap goggles, but someone from the forums tested these ones and found them to be pretty great.
Amazon.com: Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, Black Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens: Home Improvement

Here's his test of them.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/cheap-safety-glasses-tested-71621.html

Also, that driver pumps up to 400mA, so make sure you have it set low enough. I don't know why that eBay auction says 280mA, that is not true. Check this thread for a test of the PHR-805t's
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/phr-805-405nm-diodes-replace-phr-803ts-62591.html

Good luck!

I recently got that same pair from Amazon, they do seem to work pretty well for 473, 405, and decently for 532 as well. Not bad at all for a few dollars as long as you're not using anything too high powered.

Just ordered 3 pairs of the goggles from amazon. Theyll be here in 3-5 days and all the stuff for my laser will be here on the 24th to the 30th. Im going to be putting it inside of this flashlight

NP138C_160.jpg

What do you think of this as a housing?

Thats one think I didnt think of yet. What exactly does a heat sink need to be? Like, if I had my friend that owns a machine shop make an aluminum plug that fits inside the housing and fits around the module, would that suffice? Would it need to be finned?if I get a couple of washers that fit around the module and inside the flashlight and thermal paste them to the module, would that work?

I don't think you'd need anything fancy for stuff under 150mW.
You should be fine with a simple cylindrical heatsink that fits in your housing.
I wouldn't advise the washers, unless they're thick enough and made of aluminum or copper, which I doubt they are.
FYI, aluminum and copper are the two metals of choice for heatsinks because they draw more heat. Aluminum is cheaper and easier to machine, but copper draws more heat.

So if I can get copper washers ftom a hardware store near by, it will work? Im trying to avoif spending mich more money before I get paid next week.

Well the diode won't generate much heat so I would say try it out. Especially since you have 2 diodes. Let me know if it works well.

The idea of a heatsink is to cover as much of the module as possible, as close as possible, I had the same thought with some copper washers I had that were about perfect fit to the can diameter.. a diy module made from washers and bolts lmao.. I should have made it and took piccies lol. :wave:

Alrighy, I just recieved my module and diodes in the mail today. Ill have pictures up soon. The module is pretty decent