Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Post Hello All !

First time posting here and thought I'd ask a few questions from knowledgable folks like yourselves. Ever since I was young I was fascinated with laser pointers I think around 12 is when I got my first red laser pointer from Radio Shack at the time. I suddenly felt the craving to get a new laser since I have a lot more time now on my hands to have some fun with this hobby in particular. I have done quite a bit of research and searched online on many retailers to narrow down my search.

I have a few questions that I would like answered if possible thanks.

1) Is Skylasers aka laserbtb.com a good company ? Are their lasers built well ? ( I purchased a 150mw green laser from them a few days ago as they had imo the best price/quality compared to a lot of retailers I've seen )

2) What would be the duty cycle for this pointer ( click link )

LP 532nm 1mW-150mW

3) Compared with the other models that have a black host I suppose the 150mw of both versions would output the same power but I'm guessing the black larger host would have better heat dissipation ?

4) Would the 150mw pointer have a clearly visible beam if I'm pointing it at night towards the sky or a couple of trees ?

5) I've done tons of research on safety required with these lasers and it is my general understanding that as long as your eyes never come in contact with the laser beam direct or indirectly your eyes should be ok and you should stay at least 10+ feet away from the laser dot because of the brightness and IR being given off ? I'm assuming laser safety goggles are a last resort extra precautionary measure from indirect exposure correct ?

I bought safety goggles off Ebay as I would have gone with a more expensive pair from Eagle and would these work for the 150mw ?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Thank You !

lman

1 yes
2 30 sec on 30 sec off
3 it depends on your heatsink and the metal your host is made
Of
4 yes
To lazy to answer 5 sorry.

Last edited:
1. I don't have experience with them so I don't know, but you can search around for some reviews about their products.
2. It would probably be around 30 sec on, 60 sec off (very conservative, but seeing as it's a small host heat would probably be generated very quickly.
3. I would assume so, that seems to be the only difference
4. Definitely, a 5mW is pretty visible at night; 150 will amaze you (just be careful of planes)
5. As long as there aren't any reflective surfaces (or even semi-reflective surfaces) then you should be okay. Don't stare at the dot too closely, and don't do any burning without glasses. They say OD4 so they should be fine, but still use caution when operating.

5) With green wavelength @ ~150mW, you should be fine looking at the dot as long as it's not closer than 6-7 feet away, though it will not be the most comfortable experience. The real concern with looking at the dot lies with the lower wavelengths like 405 and especially 445 due to the immense power. Reason lies with the potential blue light hazard on the photochemical reactions in your eye (worthy to note it's hasn't been proven in humans).

Last edited:

lman

5) With green wavelength @ ~150mW, you should be fine looking at the dot as long as it's not closer than 6-7 feet away, though it will not be the most comfortable experience. The real concern with looking at the dot lies with the lower wavelengths like 405 and especially 445 due to the immense power. Reason lies with the potential blue light hazard on the photochemical reactions in your eye (worthy to note it's not proven in humans).

Thanks for answering five for me.

Last edited:
5) With green wavelength @ ~150mW, you should be fine looking at the dot as long as it's not closer than 6-7 feet away, though it will not be the most comfortable experience. The real concern with looking at the dot lies with the lower wavelengths like 405 and especially 445 due to the immense power. Reason lies with the potential blue light hazard on the photochemical reactions in your eye (worthy to note it's not proven in humans).

From what I have read it seems my general impression is 405 and 450 the eyes are extremely sensitive. Heck I've seen videos of 1w blue lasers on youtube and I had to turn away from staring at the video. I'm not gonna lie I was going to buy a 1w blue from Skylasers but didn't cause of those dangers. Safety was the first thing on my mind when it came to purchasing a laser and did lots of reading but was still unsure about a few things.

If my experience with the Skylasers is pleasant I will be purchasing another later on.

I'd like to add I found it funny how Wicked Lasers isn't taken lightly on here. From what I've read on these forums and their forums it seems as if their quality overall is garbage just like to add that in. Not gonna lie though their ads steered me their way first for buying a laser but they rip you off.

lman

From what I have read it seems my general impression is 405 and 450 the eyes are extremely sensitive. Heck I've seen videos of 1w blue lasers on youtube and I had to turn away from staring at the video. I'm not gonna lie I was going to buy a 1w blue from Skylasers but didn't cause of those dangers. Safety was the first thing on my mind when it came to purchasing a laser and did lots of reading but was still unsure about a few things.

If my experience with the Skylasers is pleasant I will be purchasing another later on.

I'd like to add I found it funny how Wicked Lasers isn't taken lightly on here. From what I've read on these forums and their forums it seems as if their quality overall is garbage just like to add that in. Not gonna lie though their ads steered me their way first for buying a laser but they rip you off.
Not me only for green lasers.

Iman judging from your avatar are you a fan or part of some hacking group ? ( anonymous, lulzsec comes to mind ) lol

lman

Iman judging from your avatar are you a fan or part of some hacking group ? ( anonymous, lulzsec comes to mind ) lol

Nope I'm a troll who knows about lasers, but I can do simple commands.

Last edited:
I just got my laser from Skylasers and I must say I'm amazed at the power however I have one more quick question it might sound stupid but hey I'll ask anyway.

I was wearing my safety goggles and the laser through them I can't make the ray at all and the dot looks like its a 5mw laser and it's like orangey. I was pointing it at some cheap stick on tiles I had put in my guest bathroom and while viewing the dot through my glasses I noticed the dot split or partially reflected back but I'm not too sure. What happens if by accident the ray partially reflects back at someone wearing glasses rated at OD4/5 absorb. The power is 150mw green.

Thank You.