Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Laser

Hello everyone, I am looking into buying my first laser probably around 10-30mW, either 532nm or 650nm my price range is probably up to around $60 (not sure if this is enough could probably round up some more) i was wondering what site i should buy from and because i am Australian what can I do to bypass customs

Thanks
-Mark

Things

Bypassing Aus customs is near impossible these days, they can weed out laser pointers real fast, and they even test them to make sure they don't exceed 1mW.

I'd consider grabbing a module or diode from someone like DTR or eBay and building it into your own host,t hat way you're guaranteed to have a laser.

So the diode is basically the main power source for the laser right? and how much do you think this would cost? and do you think you could give me a link to a decent one?

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am looking into buying my first laser probably around 10-30mW, either 532nm or 650nm my price range is probably up to around $60 (not sure if this is enough could probably round up some more) i was wondering what site i should buy from and because i am Australian what can I do to bypass customs

Thanks
-Mark

You can get a 10-30mW 532nm off eBay for 4-5$... Those *5mW green* lasers are most likely 20-40mW (overspec) :) And you're paying a fraction of your budget!

I see absolutely no use in paying more than 10$ for a weak green laser because there is no space in their small hosts to make them any better.

Last edited:

Things

You can get a 10-30mW 532nm off eBay for 4-5$... Those *5mW green* lasers are most likely 20-40mW (overspec) :) And you're paying a fraction of your budget!

I see absolutely no use in paying more than 10$ for a weak green laser because there is no space in their small hosts to make them any better.

I can guarantee 100% that those typical Newwish style pens will get caught in customs :)

What do you mean by Newwish style pens? and what is your opinion on those two links i sent?

Last edited:

Things

These:

5mw-Economical-Bright-Red-Laser-Pointer-Beam-Pen-tradece_1.jpg

They're produced by a company called Newwish, every Chinese seller and their cat has them.

These:

5mw-Economical-Bright-Red-Laser-Pointer-Beam-Pen-tradece_1.jpg

They're produced by a company called Newwish, every Chinese seller and their cat has them.

I've ordered countless 'newwish' pens, never had a single one seized. And I don't understand your logic. Why would they seize a 5$ laserpen marked <5mW when the 50$ <5mW won't?

Things

Because you live in Canada, OP lives in Australia, Lasers over 1mW are illegal. I'm saying they'll seize ALL of them, no matter colour, price, or power. Very, very rare you'll actually find one that's truly under 1mW as you said yourself, they're almost always overspec. Australian customs have a power meter - they check.

Last edited:
Because you live in Canada, OP lives in Australia, Lasers over 1mW are illegal. I'm saying they'll seize ALL of them, no matter colour, price, or power. Very, very rare you'll actually find one that's truly under 1mW as you said yourself, they're almost always overspec. Australian customs have a power meter - they check.

Damn, so strict! I guess some packages get through when marked 'flashlight'? Or the second best bet is to contact an australian member on LPF and arrange something...

Things

They have probably setup the X-ray scanners to detect anything that looks similar to a laser pointer, unlikely marking them as something different would get them through, it'd have to actually be in a flashlight looking host before you had a chance.

do you know anybody Australian sellers on lpf and does that second link i posted look alright? and sorry for all the questions just new to this

Things

Have a look through the Buy/Sell/Trade section on the forum. Not too many Aus sellers, because it is pretty risky, chances are you'll have to PM someone that looks like they have the capacity to build one for you, if you wish to go that way. Otherwise the 2 modules you linked should get through customs fine.