Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Laser Tips!

Hi,
I need help choosing my first laser.
My needs are a not too powerful laser, because it would be too dangerous; and a great visibilty, no burning abilty required specifically; so I decided for a green laser.
A direct green diode would be perfect, like 520nm diodes, but I know they cost too much for my budget (no more than 50-60€ for my first laser :yabbem:).
So remains the 532nm laser. I know lots of companies you suggested in the forum but they most are outside EU and I want to avoid customs. Also here in Italy above 1mW lasers are prohibited if mounted as portable lasers. So i would prefer laser kits that I could later assemble.
Bitlasers.com seems to respect all my needs, selling bundle laser parts for a 50mW green laser; but I would also need protection goggles; batteries and charger and this will cost about 72$ which is a little too much. Also this laser is not IR filtered, I contacted the guy who onws the website and he says that he would add an IR filter for about 5$, but he thinks he's not necessary;
what do you think??

:thinking:I really don't know what to do, I only need a laser for pointing; I think that 60€ for my first laser is a bit too much. Otherwise I could buy a 5mW simple green pointer which would be much easier to handle with.
I'm also willing to build my own one but I would need complete guide by some members for buying the right parts here in Europe!

Thanks.

Hello davidkoleda,

You could try the Wicked Lasers Core, Core Series - 5mW Green Laser Pointer | Wicked Lasers It's a bit pricey, but their Core's have historically been pretty good. It's a 5mW 532nm laser pointer, one of the brightest laser pointers of this power you can find. You could also try LaserGlow Technologies https://www.laserglow.com/catalog.htm but their lasers tend to be more expensive. LGT uses a high price, but justified type of approach. WL ships from China, LGT from Canada. Good luck!

EDIT: I would NOT recommend any laser above 5mW for your first laser. Protect your eyes

EDIT #2: WL tends to be able to successfully ship their lasers to those laserphobic countries recently, I won't guarantee anything though

Last edited:
Here on the forum Wicked Lasers has a strange reputation, like on the post 31 reasons not to buy from WL. But all bad reputation seems to be related to old shipping problems. If I'm wrong could please someone correct me.
I find the core form WL and the Anser form LGT very similar and I fing LGT more reliable, but 35$ of shipping is just crazy form LGT, just the price of the laser. So between the two I dould choose WL. But for example OdicForce lasers, which ships form UK sells a 5mW pointer for 8 GBP, but not IR filtered, does it make fdifference on a 5 mW laser?

Hello davidkoleda,

If a green laser is not IR filtered, it is very dangerous for anyone/anything's eyes. Since IR light cannot be seen, your eyes will not react to it going in your eyes. A 5mW green laser likely has at least a 50mW IR diode, if the IR is not filtered out you could damage your eyes. Also, if the laser is not IR filtered, that means that some/most of the light is actually invisible IR, so your laser won't be 5mW of green light, it would probably be 2-3mW of green light. And for pointers, the brighter the better, so having IR there is both counterproductive and dangerous. Never buy a non-IR filtered green laser

EDIT: Wicked Lasers got swamped with orders back in 2010, they made a few poor decisions (decided to keep taking orders when lasers were out of stock, shipped under-spec lasers just to get the orders filled). Very few people trust WL on this forum due to the multiple reviews of poor quality WL products from the past couple years. Although they are getting better nowadays, it's hard to re-earn lost trust.

However, given that you are purchasing a Core, not one of WL's higher powered lasers, I wouldn't throw them out of the list yet. Their Cores have remained pretty solid even through those couple of tough years, and have mostly gotten good reviews. A couple bad reviews here and there, but almost all products get the occasional hiccup.

Last edited:
I just want a 5mW laser with IR filter and solid build quality; the core is quite good but a little over priced and reviews are different I know. Do you know some EU company that sells good quality lasers that respect my needs??

EDIT: Better if shipped as bundle anyway.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would definitely go for a Wicked Lasers Core. Don't settle for a cheap ebay laser..They eat up batteries and aren't as powerful. The Core is made of much better materials, which makes the batteries last longer and makes it much more brighter.

Italy seems to be a laserphobic country recently. I need some EU companies, better if they ship lasers as bundles.

I would definitely go for a Wicked Lasers Core. Don't settle for a cheap ebay laser..They eat up batteries and aren't as powerful. The Core is made of much better materials, which makes the batteries last longer and makes it much more brighter.

Sorry man but a laser like the WL Core will eat up batteries just as fast as an eBay laser will.

Cheap eBay lasers however will not have an IR filter.

The eye spectrum response to the green light much greater than compared to the red and blue lasers. Hence green laser pointers can be considered to have a better chance for causing damage.
You must go for protection goggles and other needful equipments. You can opt to fancychannel.com. I hope you won't get disappointed.