Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Laser Planned - 200 mW Red

Hi everyone, just want to introduce myself first. My name... is not important. :) What is important is that I'm getting ready to build a laser.

I'm currently planning on building a 200 mW red laser based on the diode from an old DVD burner. I'm using this video as a rough reference and this diagram for the specific circuitry required.

First: is this a reasonable first project? I do have some experience with wiring circuits, and I'm well aware of the safety issues that go along with a high power laser.

Second: this diagram is obviously not going to work for just any laser diode; the resistor values are going to need to be tuned for the diode (not to mention the pot needs to have enough range). What's the general guideline on how to decide the values? I'm assuming that you just need to choose them so the circuit functions as a constant current source for the specific current you require, but are there any "gotchas" that I need to be aware of?

Thanks, and hopefully if all goes well I'll have this thing built sometime in the near (or not so near) future. ;)

anselm

Hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:

That's a good first project you picked out there!
Styropyro is a respected member of this community, although he doesn't seem to
have posted much lately....
Have you read this page?
Laser driver - It can be done

The schematic you linked is correct, and the resistors actually seem to be the correct
values for a long open can (LOC) red DVD burner diode.

Also, feel free to use the search button on top of the page. It holds the answer
to almost all of your questions.