Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Laser Build. How's This?

I'm building my first laser soon and just want some input on the parts I've chosen. Will everything work? Is there anything I should change?

Unmarked Survival Lasers S4 Host with the extended copper heatsink option
DIY S4? Host Assembly, Unmarked

Survival Lasers 1.25A Pill Diode Driver (Is this the right amount of output for a 1W diode?)
Survival Laser Driver

HighTechDealz 1W 445nm Blue Diode + Aixiz Module (Does this include a heatsink?)
HighTechDealZ - 445nm 1W (1000mW) Blue Brand New Laser Diode in Aixiz Module

A couple 18650 batteries
18650 Battery and Charger Combo

A 405-G-2 Lens From DTR with focus ring

How does that sound?

Does DTR's 1.7W 445nm diode w/ X-Drive include a heatsink?
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

Thanks

Last edited:

Ok, none of the diode modules include a heatsink. However, if you get the s4 host with copper heatsink, theres your heatsink. You just slide the LD module into the heatsink and lock it down with the set screw.
I don't recommend that driver with that diode. I believe the diode you linked is the same one DTR uses in the module you linked to.

Personally, I would go with DTR's module. It is ready to slide into a host (like the one you linked to) and solder to the battery contact. That's all, easy. You may also need to get a battery contact board from survival lasers with that host.

Also, I wouldn't recommend those batteries. Try lighthound.com, get a charger and a couple of AW IMR 18650 batteries. Ultrafire, or anything-fire suck.

Don't forget safety goggles! Extremely important! Survival lasers sell them, so make sure to grab some with host.

Good luck, and welcome to LPF.

Ok, none of the diode modules include a heatsink. However, if you get the s4 host with copper heatsink, theres your heatsink. You just slide the LD module into the heatsink and lock it down with the set screw.
I don't recommend that driver with that diode. I believe the diode you linked is the same one DTR uses in the module you linked to.

Personally, I would go with DTR's module. It is ready to slide into a host (like the one you linked to) and solder to the battery contact. That's all, easy. You may also need to get a battery contact board from survival lasers with that host.

Also, I wouldn't recommend those batteries. Try lighthound.com, get a charger and a couple of AW IMR 18650 batteries. Ultrafire, or anything-fire suck.

Don't forget safety goggles! Extremely important! Survival lasers sell them, so make sure to grab some with host.

Good luck, and welcome to LPF.

Thanks for the help. Yeh, I've heard bad things about Ultrafire but I thought that survival lasers wouldn't sell bad ones. Will definitely check lighthound out though.

Thanks again :). Just wanted to make sure as this is my first build.

No problem :beer:

You could use those batteries, I just personally don't recommend them. Do a search on the difference between LiCo and IMR li-ion batteries. IMR's are better at high current drain, and safer.

Plus I actually tested three different types in my mitsu-500 build. The xxxfire (can't remember which)
Output 430mW, a generic IMR git it up to 546mW, and the AW IMR 667mW. That sold me. ;)

No problem :beer:

You could use those batteries, I just personally don't recommend them. Do a search on the difference between LiCo and IMR li-ion batteries. IMR's are better at high current drain, and safer.

Plus I actually tested three different types in my mitsu-500 build. The xxxfire (can't remember which)
Output 430mW, a generic IMR git it up to 546mW, and the AW IMR 667mW. That sold me. ;)

K. Also, do you know if one 18650 battery provides enough voltage to the driver? DTR's site says the driver needs 6-12.6V. The AW IMR 18650 2000mAh batteries are only 3.7V.

K. Also, do you know if one 18650 battery provides enough voltage to the driver? DTR's site says the driver needs 6-12.6V. The AW IMR 18650 2000mAh batteries are only 3.7V.

No, not for the 1.7W or 2W. The 1 and 1.3W ones use a boost, which takes one 18650. The higher power ones use a different driver. Two 16340s are what you need.

Sorry about that. I just glanced at his setups and assumed all were microboost, which would take one 18650. But just noticed the last two use x-drives, so that's 2 batteries, 16340s would work fine.

No, not for the 1.7W or 2W. The 1 and 1.3W ones use a boost, which takes one 18650. The higher power ones use a different driver. Two 16340s are what you need.

Sorry about that. I just glanced at his setups and assumed all were microboost, which would take one 18650. But just noticed the last two use x-drives, so that's 2 batteries, 16340s would work fine.

Okay, thanks.