Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First impression of the laserglow Herc/ pics&video

This is one of the new ones not yet posted on thier site "the 2.5W diode" unit and this laser is rated at 300mw, but with the extra battery power and large diode, it manages a peak that stays over 400mw for a full 5 minutes and then finally settles to a sustained 321mw for as long as you have it on.
That means until your batterys run out or forever "if you have an external powersupply feeding it through its extra input jack."

There is a very tiny "hidden" fan that you can barely hear that keeps the unit cool. Should you be in a very hot environment or should you turn it all the way up with its adjustable power pod thats mounted on the exterior, there is an overheat light that will come on.
Laserglow automatically tunes it for stable max power that can run continuous without failing to meet commercial needs.

I'm almost speechless after firing it up... I am really at a loss for words to adequately describe my feelings, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

After going out to dinner and giving it some thought, I have come to this conclusion and here are my catagories......
1. As cool as pen lasers are for thier portability, good looks, and ease of use, I can only compare them to a small deringer pistol. Attractive, small enough to kill if your lucky or at close range, also small enough to piss some bad guy off and you may never take them out before they get you.
An excellent size for "target practice" without attracting too much attention and costing too much ammo.
Carrying one of these makes you feel mischeivous and dangerous.

2. Second are the middle size units.. the envee "Colt 45" "powered by two AA's" and the Aries "44magnum" "powered by two C cells"..... also attractive, but must be holstered as they are too big to carry in your pocket comfortably. Able to be intimidating, but is not going to scare away a crowd unless you really mean it.
Able to use casually if in the right environment without attracting law enforcement, but too big to use in safeway!!!!
Carrying one of these makes you feel like Clint Eastwood.

3. Ah yes.. and then there are the big boys..... Among of which is the Hercules. Attractive is not a good word "although it is" a better word may be "intimidating" or "built for battle".
This big boy is powered by Three D Cell batteries and I recon it to more like an 454 Elephant Gun. This sucker if made for long distance with an impact. When you hold it, it gives you an eery sense of awe and power without it even turned on!... the larger ribbed front reminds you of a silencer on a snipers gun.
If it were to be pointed at a crowd, "without it on", I"m sure the whole bunch would hit the deck for fear it may go off.
When you turn it on, you are in awe of its beam and power.... it really messes with your head and makes it hard to have fun with pistols and such after playing with this big boy.. the others are never the same as they were once you feel the power of one of these. As wonderful as the Aries is, as I have played with the 175mw and its quite amazing for its size "no kidding", but the double power and double size of the Herc just does something crazy to your hormones... a sudden rush of testosterone seems to take over!!!
This thing cuts like a torch where some of the lesser lasers only poke holes.
Carrying one of these bad boys makes you feel like the Governor of California with his plasma firing gun as noted in terminator III "I believe it is!"

Re: My first impression of my new laserglow 300mw

A review... without pics or videos? Maybe you could post a vid of you beating someone up with your new baseball bat ;). Anyways, sounds like a great new laser, and I'll be interested in hearing what things you do with it.

pseudonomen137 said:
A review... without pics or videos? Maybe you could post a vid of you beating someone up with your new baseball bat ;). Anyways, sounds like a great new laser, and I'll be interested in hearing what things you do with it.

I just got it this eve.. I'll take some pics and post a bit later.

A few pics.. I'm still trying to find a decent avi to wmv converter... but until then, here's a few pics....

I can't seem to get more than one pic posted per post...

So here is a comparison between a 130mw pen laser and the 300mw hercules... these are inside pics with daylight coming in the side windows, lights on in the room and no fog or other agents to aid viewing.

Attachments

• Hercules_300mw_vs_130mw_pen.JPG
    Hercules_300mw_vs_130mw_pen.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 143

Simple handheld shot of the Herc... I haven't seen any Herc shots on the net with physical hands as comparison, so here goes....

Attachments

• Hercules_held_in_hand.JPG
    Hercules_held_in_hand.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 176

I had trouble when turning the key off as it wants to fall out easily... I didn't want to try and store it somewhere, so I simply put a tie on the dongle.. so that they both stay together... since the donge does not come out easily unless purposefully pulling it out, this is a simple way as to not lose the key when turned off.

Attachments

• Key_tied_to_dongle.JPG
    Key_tied_to_dongle.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 144
S

SenKat

Shootin that badass a little close to that dark colored *poof !* uhm...nevermind...I thought I saw a couch in that first picture.............

Ha!.. dont think it would hurt it for a moment.. I did pop balloons today at 15 feet and burn matches at 10 feet... It will take a little time for me to figure out all my video stuff.

Video of of popping balloon and lighting match

Attachments

• Pop_Balloon_and_light_match.wmv
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

Video of of burning match up close by passing it through beam

Attachments

• Light_Match_close.wmv
    1 MB · Views: 46

I'm sure some are curious about what the adjustment pod looks like on top of the unit.
From right to left, first you see the blue On/off button, second you see the "on led" its a beautiful blue, third you see the red led "overheat light"..of which will come on if the units internal temp ever reaches 38 degrees Celsius, but there is not actual damage to the unit unless it reaches 80 degrees celcius!.. Ouch!.... thats cookin!!!!
I've never seen this come on and lastly, you see the power adjustment pod.

Attachments

• Top_view_of_pod_001.JPG
    Top_view_of_pod_001.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 125

Here is the warning for messing with the pod adjustment.....

Attachments

• Pod_Adjust_warning.JPG
    Pod_Adjust_warning.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 144

Here is a bottom shot of the two jacks..... the smaller one is the "external modulation signal input".. don't ask me what thats for.. I don't know.....
The instructions say to be used to modulate the output at up to 200Hz. To test modulation, short out the red and black wires "of the supplies jumper" and the output will cease..... you got me????

Second and larger is the external power input. This input requires maximum 4.0Volts 2.0A DC regulated power supply. Higher voltage may damage circuit board.

Attachments

• Bottom_view_of_jack.JPG
    Bottom_view_of_jack.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 150

tatman

man, i HATE being jealous!! that thing really burns FAST! what do u use for a backstop? i mean when u r making videos 4 us inside your house, how do you keep it from lighting the other side of the room?

Not sure what you mean.. I just used my digital camera on "P" mode.... no flash on the laser beam shots but the others do.

That little bit of light coming out of the other room is why the picture is a little dark, but the beam looks better.. if the light would have been off in that room too, the whole picture would have kept the shutter open longer and it would probrably be blurred.. the beams at least.

tatman

windstrings,my knowledge is limited...so maybe my question is dumb. what i meant is the herc lights matches quick, so how do you keep it from lighting the wall?