Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First DIY laser

Hey guys, I'm new here please be nice :)

I'm new to lasers I'm looking to make my first DIY laser with a diode from a 16X DVD burner and I have a couple of questions.

The diode is currently connected to 2 AA batteries. When I turn it on it's basically a bright red LED. Do the blank Aixiz housing modules have the right lens or do I need a separate lens? The diode I have is a small 5mm-ish diameter one. Will I need an adapter to place it in the Aixiz housing?

Thanks in advance :thanks:

What do you mean I killed it. The diode still works. I realise that hooking it up to batteries kills it very quickly. It's probably been turned on for a total of 15-20 seconds.

k1kb0t

Hooking up the diode directly to the battery will kill the diode. A driver should be placed in between the power source and the diode to help drive the diode to the correct current. Typically when the diode dims it is because it has been pushed to hard and is now dead.

You said that it was as bright as an led.....meaning that if you can look at it and not be blinded by it...then you killed the diode. NEVER HOOK A DIODE STRAIGHT UP TO A BATTERY...NEVER.

jado, you need a driver, if your are truely gonna diy it go here

if you want to buy a driver go to this link
www.hightechdealz.com
and also go to hightech for the aixiz module. all you have to do is un screw it and press your laser diode in. make sure you press it in before connecting your driver.

http://www.rog8811.com

Last edited:
You said that it was as bright as an led.....meaning that if you can look at it and not be blinded by it...then you killed the diode. NEVER HOOK A DIODE STRAIGHT UP TO A BATTERY...NEVER.

Probably should have re-worded that. It is a properly working laser diode, but the light isn't focused into a beam, which is why I need a lens. The diode is too bright to look into safely.