Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First DIY blue ray Advice Needed.

Hey, I was considering my first blue ray build, and I have an idea of the parts I want to use. I just wanted to see if the parts list that I have will work.

Driver: rckstr or dLava 130mA fixed current
Diode: 405nm PHR-803T Blu Ray Laser Diode from hightechdealz
Host: UltraFire Cree C3 Flashlight with 2xAA Extension Tube Bundle from DX
Heatsink: Darkhorse Sliver Full Body Heatsink
Batteries: 2 or 3 Ultrafire 14500 3.6V 900mAh Protected Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries
Module: Aixiz Laser Module Housing

my main concern is if the heatsink I chose will fit the host. The Cree C3 flashlight I'm using is the black one because I wanted to use the AA battery extension tube.
Otherwise, I'm also worried about soldering the diode to the driver. Are there any precautions I need to take to prevent ESD from killing my diode?
And do I need a digital multimeter if I order a driver with the current preset?

Any help is appreciated.  :)

That should work, except I do not know if the voltage will be a problem. You are also not going down the most cost effective route.
Here is what I would do. (I am doing almost the same thing now except with a reassembled module, that are now sold out)
Driver: Either of your originals will work fine.
Diode and Module: PHR Sled 13$ (4$ for Aixiz module with free harvesting and installation of PHR) - See BluRay's post in Buy, Sell, & Trade
Host: MXDL 3405 Flashlight. 12$ - Deal Extreme
Heatsink: MXDL 3405 Heatsink (23$ plus 3$ shipping) - Jayrob on the forums
Batteries: 2 10440 Batteries - Deal Extreme
I hope this helps.
Thanks.

nateh202 said:
That should work, except I do not know if the voltage will be a problem. You are also not going down the most cost effective route.
Here is what I would do. (I am doing almost the same thing now except with a reassembled module, that are now sold out)
Driver: Either of your originals will work fine.
Diode and Module: PHR Sled 13$ (4$ for Aixiz module [highlight]with free harvesting[/highlight] and installation of PHR) - See BluRay's post in Buy, Sell, & Trade
Host: MXDL 3405 Flashlight. 12$ - Deal Extreme
Heatsink: MXDL 3405 Heatsink (23$ plus 3$ shipping) - Jayrob on the forums
Batteries: 2 10440 Batteries - Deal Extreme
I hope this helps.
Thanks.

sled is 13 dollars
Harvesting the diode and taking out of heatsink is 3 dollars
aixiz module is 4 dollars

putting in is free though. :D

The darkhorse heatsink I ordered was designed for the Cree C3 flashlight.

From Item Description:
Introducing The "Sliver" Full Body Heatsink.
Based on the successfull "Full-Body" design used in the Dorcys, these are down-sized for a Cree C3 (solid stainless-steel 1xAA-sized host)
This new design fits in a smaller host (21mmx 94mm).
You will need a 14500 (AA-sized) lithium-battery for this little guy, I recommend these from DX.

I'm just not sure if it will work with the black version of the cree C3.

x101xtreme said:
The darkhorse heatsink I ordered was designed for the Cree C3 flashlight.

From Item Description:
Introducing The "Sliver" Full Body Heatsink.  
Based on the successfull "Full-Body" design used in the Dorcys, these are down-sized for a Cree C3 (solid stainless-steel 1xAA-sized host)
This new design fits in a smaller host (21mmx 94mm).
You will need a 14500 (AA-sized) lithium-battery for this little guy, I recommend these from DX.

I'm just not sure if it will work with the black version of the cree C3.

Unfortunatly, the black C3 has a smaller "internal-diameter than the stainless, so the "Sliver-heatsink" will only fit the Stainless-version. I can however make a custom heatsink for your black-C3.

Just to clarify, we make two-seperate "full-body" heatsinks, one for the stainless C3, and one for the DJR, (Dorcy JR).
DH

That would be great if you could make a custom heatsink. Do you have the dimensions of the black c3? Or would I have to measure them? How much would this cost?