Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First dead Blu-Ray?

I have had a GGW build for a long time I used it as my normal blu ray laser and yesterday I was using it and burning things and I clicked on and no laser comes out!!!!!?!?!?!! Just a faint blu ray light that looks more like a circle with the middle missing and no dot. The current was set a 195mA and I always used a short duty cycle. I charged the battery and tried that and the same thing looks to me like I got a LED :( is this one way that a laser can die just go all LED one day? this has never happed to me just wondering if I cant save it some how

Thanks,
Justin

I've had the same problem with a PHR at 160mA. Was using it daily, and then one day *poof*. Clicked the button and nothing more than a diffused glow of 405nm was emitted. Laser diodes, among most other things, have a set lifetime. When you push it to the limit as most people on the forum do, the lifetime is greatly reduced. However, the only way to tell if a laser diode has truly LEd' is to check the input current. There could possibly be a connection or driver problem limiting the current going into the laser diode. Judging by the change of your diode's profile, I'd say not- but the unexpected is always possible. Best of luck!

Thanks for the quick reply so you are saying that I can compare the input current now to what it was before it went dim? But I dont know the imput current before I may just have to order another GGW :( lol

BTW Your key chain is coming along good just have alot to do :)

Justin

Last edited:
my first ggw went led too. yes input can not be compatred to out put at this stage. when a laser goes led the diode can actually be used as a test load because the current characteristics are still intact. also i feel that mine went LED because of my error. it was a hot day a few weeks ago and left my laser on my front seat. my aluminum host absorbed a lot of heat i could barley pick it up, and stupid me i turned it on and boom>>> LED.

michael

dumb lasers

my green dx laser broke yesterday, it was a 50mW

so what i decided to do was throw in two 10440 batteries to replace the AAA batteries

i have no output reader but a super green beam came out at least 3x brighter than it was before and a couple seconds later it died and smoke came out the laser

oh well, sorry for your blue ray loss

I will test the input current to see if its normal if it is that means a LED correct? And I can see how overheating the diode can cause it to LED :(

And wow nosebleed that really super charged your laser lol

thanks for the help

Justin

An example of this "false LED" I was talking about happened to me a few months ago while I was presenting an SW-AF210 laser to a friend. I was using my DIY Sonar case at the time, using 2 CR123 batteries to power the laser. When the laser went LED on me, what actually happened is that the plastic insulation to the first CR123 battery wore off and was connecting to the casing of the laser instead of to the other battery. So instead of 8.4V going to the laser, only 4.2V went to the laser. Scared the sh*t out of me (an alternative to laxatives, if I must), especially since I was demonstrating the laser.

dumb lasers

my green dx laser broke yesterday, it was a 50mW

so what i decided to do was throw in two 10440 batteries to replace the AAA batteries

i have no output reader but a super green beam came out at least 3x brighter than it was before and a couple seconds later it died and smoke came out the laser

oh well, sorry for your blue ray loss

What's funny about this is I bet you just smoked the driver. There's a chance the pump diode and crystals survived.

maybe

but i doubt it

cause it stopped working when i was using fresh AAA batteries

maybe

but i doubt it

cause it stopped working when i was using fresh AAA batteries

Well if it actually smoked, it was something in the driver giving it up electrically. Not really much in the rest of the laser to smoke, plus I kind of get the feeling the only difference between the 50/100/150mw are the drivers and MAYBE the pump diodes.

Though you know electronics really run on smoke right? When the smoke escapes they quit working. :shhh:

But I think I see what your saying. It quit working on normal batteries, then you put in the 10440's THEN got smoke? The 3x brightness comment doesn't really make sense like that though.

Last edited:

midias

I had a SF-AW210 do the same at 230ma after about 2 months. Now I am running at 210ma seems to alive for now.

Last edited:
I has a sf sot he same at 230 now I run at 210

Dont know what you are trying to say and

Though you know electronics really run on smoke right? When the smoke escapes they quit working.:shhh:

LMFAO

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!
But it looks like I have a LED now :(, I haven't checked prices on GGW sleds recently if they are like everything else they have dropped in price sooo I just need money to get one lol

Justin

Last edited:

midias

^ Thats what I get for posting while playing the new starcraft.

Last edited:
Well if it actually smoked, it was something in the driver giving it up electrically. Not really much in the rest of the laser to smoke, plus I kind of get the feeling the only difference between the 50/100/150mw are the drivers and MAYBE the pump diodes.

Though you know electronics really run on smoke right? When the smoke escapes they quit working. :shhh:

But I think I see what your saying. It quit working on normal batteries, then you put in the 10440's THEN got smoke? The 3x brightness comment doesn't really make sense like that though.

so could i just get a cheapy green laser and pot mod it

so could i just get a cheapy green laser and pot mod it

ROFL No most of the time pot modding a green laser doesn't work he is saying that you smoked your driver its set to put out a certain current eg. 100ma from say 2.5 to 3.6 volt input you put in like over 6 volts to the driver and it fried haha

I think Im correct please correct me if Im wrong someone :D

Justin

yeah. you most likely just killed the driver, and the IR diode could still be okay....
you could still make a nice IR burner from it.