Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First car help!!

I've been looking in the market here for a few months now for a first car. Well through my searches I really like the YJ Jeep Wranglers. But the only thing is that most of them have over 100k miles that are in my price range. It will mostly be used for driving to school every day and maybe a occasional off roading on the weekends :D I've talked this over for my mom and says that it is defiantly a good possibillity and would be a good opportunity forme to get to know how to repair things on the vehicle. The only thing im worried about is the possibility of something fatal going out on the car that would be a very costly repair.
I've also read people saying that anything serious that could break would most likely brake in the milage rage of 70k-100k.

Any thought or helpful ideas? I would like a jeep only cause of the off road capabilities and such. If there are any other vehicles that are good off road and are in the same price range feel free to suggest. (I would prefer not a truck cause in my redneck town all you see are lifted trucks with cut out mufflers - no offense)
:thanks:

Has it ever been off roaded or was it a street truck only ? when they are taken off road they can get punished :eg:
Dose it make any strange noises, check the differ, pumpkin, the tranny and the engine for "out of place noises"

things can break at any time so that 70k - 100k may not be a good rule to go by I have a chevy truck with 268k on it and the engine bearing are just now starting to wear out, I know this as the oil pressure has only recently started dropping and when a heavyer weight oil was added it went back up.

So chack your jeep out good and take it to a mechanic and get it checked out befor buying.
I realy wouldn't suggest driving it on the street as they have a short narrow wheel base and tend to flip easyly in emergency turns and accidents !

Last edited:
Spam post deleted.

Hey numb nutz, stop posting the same thing all over the forum.

@Anthony. Your first car should be an import, like Toyota, or Honda. Most American cars, and Mitsubishis, start falling apart at 100K miles. The are expensive to fix too. Toyotas, and Honda can go up to 200K without a major problem. They are cheap, and easy to fix too. When you get a job, and have the extra money, would I start playing with 4X4s.

Last edited:

shhh

get a import like Tech_Junkie said.
My first car was a 86 accord and i sold it
around 310,xxx miles. And it lasted my friend
400 more miles and stoped once he hit a hog at 65.
And if u got a little mechanic skills
you can get u a 240sx and drop a 350 in it.

mmmMMMmmm me likey lol

If u lived near me right down the road my dads got a 93
delsol he was gonna sell for 800 i think.
runs but runs a little ruff for first 10 mins till warms up.

Best of luck to ya!

That would make sense to get a import. The only thing is that I really want a 4x4 for the reason that I go on gravel roads allot. Also we have a huge hunting place but are limited to where we can go and really need a good 4x4. How about a older 4 runner from Toyota?

Bottom line is that I want good 4x4 that preferably isnt a truck. And my mom is stuck on the whole thing that cars aren't safe :undecided:

how much are you looking to spend? i have a hummer h2 with 140,000 miles on it i would sell for 15k.

michael.

i would agree with tj on this...
next to adress you... a 4runner is a good choice.
next fp's advice is good about was it a street only car? look underneath and if you see heaps of mud then it was not a street only car.

next, get a car that is known to have a good engine, because brakes, suspension and all the little things cars have in common are all relatively cheap. i do most of my own maintence and i stick with car quest and gettnig things rebuilt like starters, alternators and ac compressors. but a good engine is a good place to start.

and if you are lucky enough to find multiple cars you like then look at tires. because if you get bad tires that will set you back $500 or more right away too.
michael.

Last edited:
How about a older 4 runner from Toyota?

Sure, Toyota is the best import you can buy in my opinion. 6K is a good budget. Try to find one with low miles, but doesn't look so good. Paint and body work is always cheaper than parts and labor. Try to find one in the 3-5K range, and use the rest of the money to change the timing belt, fluids, brakes, belts, and anything else it needs. Timing belt is most important if it in 100K miles range. You might even have enough to get some extras.

Take your time, and do your homework, and you should be fine. Also price is always negotiable, so never pay full price.

anselm

Suzuki Samurai or Vitara, I don't know what they're called or even if available in the US.
The Samurai is more bare bones offroad, the vitara is a bit more onroad car.
They're both old enough by now to be cheap.
And friend had a Samurai, diesel engine, nice and capable little 4x4, no very fast onroad of course...

Even a Lada Niva would be good if you could find one.:D:D

Last edited:
What would you consider "low miles"? The majority of 4runners are at 100k-150K miles.

Lol the she doesn't even know the last time she rid in a car.

low miles is a hard question. in your price range for a toyota or honda i would say less than 150k.

michael.

~80K Sometimes you can find one that was in an accident with low miles. Its just something to look at for. Its your first car, you dont want anything mint because you're going to want to play with it.