Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

first build

Matti

hi all,
just thought id document my first ever construction attempt :p. it is a 50mw 532nm module from ebay, fitted in 'custom' washer heatsink with a cree XM-LL host. it took a lot longer than i expected, however i can put this down to my nobbish first time soldering attempts :/. it feels surprisingly solid in hand, dispute the ghetto appearance (its worse on the inside :crackup:). the only thing i dislike is that it is very temperamental, but i suppose that is enevitable.
overall I'm happy with how it turned out, and i look forward to developing my hand at this hobby,
(sorry about the picture quality) check it out !!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    256.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image -).png
    image -).png
    179.7 KB · Views: 186
  • picture 2.png
    picture 2.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 142

good job! keep practicing your solder skills, you'll need them if you keep it up. it's very satisfying to "roll your own".

That isn't that ghetto at all. What kind of soldering iron do you have. I learned the hard way that the right tools make building so much easier. I went through 2 diodes and a driver before I got my new iron, haven't kill anything yet. If you would like I can post the link to the station I have. It beats the $100 Weller stations at my school and its only a fraction of the cost. Once again nice job! :D

Mike

Matti

ok cool yea those focus adapter do look good :), it just tops it all off. thanks mike, that would be great. yea it would be worth investing in a new iron, the one i have is not going to cut it with the smaller diodes and drivers.
thanks again,
Matti

Here you go! Velleman 50W Soldering Station : VTSS5U . It comes with a different iron holder, mine was metal. They are fantastic! I personally like it more than any other station I have used. Also there are extra tips on there site to by. You may want to pick one up so that you don't have to pay shipping a second time.

Mike

Anytime! A friend passed it on to me, and I loved it so why not spread the news.