Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Build...

Ok, so this is my first time posting, though I've read through several threads on this forum. Bear with me, and please let me know if I'm posted in the wrong way or place; I'm not really sure what I'm doing. :p Anyways, as the title states, I'm planning on doing my first build soon, and I THINK i have SOME kind of idea of what I'm doing but I'm still unsure about some parts. So I want to make a 100mw 405nm laser that is built into a flashlight body. This is a low end, low cost build, so i want to keep cost down as much as i can (to a reasonable extent) while still having nice quality. So i know i need a 405nm diode obviously, and also a module to mount it in, a driver for the diode, and the flashlight itself right?
For the diode i am thinking this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-100mW-405nm...ps=63&clkid=8321799352428391535#ht_1359wt_905
For the housing, i plan on getting these as i will be making many builds, are these good modules for high powered lasers too?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-X-30mm-laser...ltDomain_0&hash=item53dd6727cd#ht_1403wt_1139
As for the host, i had this in mind, due to its low cost, but i'm open to almost anything if you guys have suggestions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CREE-LED-Lamp-5...lashlights&hash=item41565b385c#ht_2963wt_1139
As for driver....I'm totally lost.. the impression i'm getting is that i need a flexdrive or something, but they cost like 20 dollars, which would be a large percentage of this build. do i really need something like that for 100mw-200mw stuff? If anyone can shed some light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated; all the info I've searched through is utterly overwhelming, on both this site and many others. i know the info is here, but i just don't grasp it all. Also, i suppose batteries will be based on what the driver i end up with runs on right? so that can be picked last i guess.

As for the heatsink, i plan on making my own since the ones I've seen were relatively expensive and i have a CNC mill and plenty of aluminum sitting around. But if anyone has a host picked out that is easy/cheap to get one for, i would consider it i guess, but i don't mind making my own.
Thanks in advance guys! Please correct me on anything wrong!

Last edited:

WOW I FEEL DUMB, i forgot the links 0.o I just edited the first post, sorry about that.. thanks for the response! :yabbem:

Also, (sorry for the already so many, yet soon to be millions more, questions) but can i make a safe driver that i can tune to whatever mA output i need from this: 20 x LM317T LM317 Voltage Regulator IC 1.2V to 37V 1.5A - eBay (item 320671218900 end time Apr-13-11 12:04:43 PDT) and this: 10 x 50 OHM TRIMPOT TRIMMER POTENTIOMETER 3006P 3006 - eBay (item 220741649927 end time Apr-19-11 09:03:42 PDT) ?
and also, how do i dial in the mA? do i need a load or just hook it up to my meter? sorry for being so n00bish but you gotta start somewhere right?
also, what does PHR mean?

wait, why 100ohm if im going to run it at 10-11? also, thats only a 1/4 watt tdp which is less than what would be going through at 110mA right? the one i listed was 3/4w tdp, unless im missing something...

wait, why 100ohm if im going to run it at 10-11? also, thats only a 1/4 watt tdp which is less than what would be going through at 110mA right? the one i listed was 3/4w tdp, unless im missing something...

thats a POT.. you use it to set the current if you want to adjust it some time..
but you dont need it..
you can just use a 11ohm RESISTOR to set the current

dont pot's and resistors do the same thing? o.o i got the pots so that i wouldnt have to order specific new resistor values every time i want a different power driver.. i dont have a stock of resistors in my possession, so i figured the pots i could just set to the 10ohm for this, or a 5 ohm for another thing etc, and leave it as though it were a resistor. is that ok or not?

ok i think im getting it.. do the 10440's i get need to be protected still or just normal? or will the protection cap in the driver take care of that. i read somewhere about lithium batteries needing to be protected