Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

first build

5jf5

Hi
I want to make a 300mw 650nm red laser and i almost have everything I need but I'm missing a bit of information.

I already have these parts:

Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics

650nm LPC815 Sled [LPC815 Sled] - $9.58 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

An Aixiz module

Host

What I'm missing is the powersource! It should be easy to get but i don't know what kind of battery i should use. According to what I've read i should be using more than 5.2V but i don't know the maximum. If i use an aixiz housing and the right amount of current, i shouldn't need a bigger heatsink? Correct me if I'm wrong!:bowdown:

from what little knowledge i have built up so far the batteries very much depend on your host size and you want 2x 3.0-3.6v or 1x 6-7v batteries. I'm currently running an o-like 200mw red laser on 2x cr2 3.0v 600mah.
Just in case you don't know what the different numberes/letters mean,
Cr2=battery style, 3.0v is the voltage it supplies, 600mah= how long the battery will last under load typically the higher this value the better.
Dave

5jf5

Can i find those in a local shop because buying batteries on the internet everytime isn't what I'm looking for...

What kind of batteries does your host fit? If it fits 18650's, you can use 2 cr123a primaries (2x3V=6V)

CR2 are about half the size of AA (diameter is ~1mm larger, and length is half that of AA, plus about 1 or 2mm)
CR123a are about half the size of 18650

to be honest i would invest in some good quality rechargeable batteries. Then you only have to buy them if they start to degrade.You can buy some from dealextreme and o-like. I just look for the cheapest named batteries. The batteries i'm using at the moment are ultrafire but im going to upgrade to juice batteries i think because they are 3.6v compared to the ultrafire 3.0v.
Dave

5jf5

My host was made to fit 3 AAA batteries(It's about 1 inch in diameter and less than 2" in lenght.:bumpit:

I'll go to the store and see if there are batteries that fit in my host that give 6-7V!
Thanks

Last edited:
if i remember correctly the rkcstr is good up to 12vdc, although i read that member pushed it to 14.

and as for batteries a good electronics store will have AA 3.7vdc lithium primaries. although a bit pricey.

michael

jayrob

I asked rkcstr about it a while back and he said that 3 X 10440's won't hurt the driver. You have to figure that as soon as you turn it on, the voltage will drop a little as they take a load. So even at full charge, they will probably be below 12 volts very soon, if not instantly.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of builds out there that are using 3 X 10440's with a rkcstr...

hey guys, thanks for showing me this!!! so this woud run my 5mw red? and any other red diode i can get from a dvd drive?
pls inform me
cheers

The driver will run any dvd-burner diode but you will need to research the safe operating current for the diode and set that on the driver using a dummy load and a multimeter. If you don't know how to do this use the search box and also read some of the beginners laser tutorial. when i first started i skipped them thinking ive already picked up that knowledge. only to find them very valuable resources i have learnt LOADS from them.
Dave

I have a dorcy LED that has the little"cartridge that uses 3 AAA, i am using it with the 10440's and no problems here. but then again my duty cycles are fairly short. but also im using a 6x in it.

rpaloalto, my local electronic store does sell 3.7 lithum primaries. but i'm so used to it i guess not all cities have "real" electronic stores LoL.

michael

5jf5

Ok, so if i want my laser to lase like this, :lasergun: I should power it with a battery that puts out from 6 to 9 volts?

(btw, what's a dummy battery?)

Last edited:
you need voltage and current "mah" so for a red the 6-9 volts will do. but if you use those square alkline 9volt batts it wont last long at all. they are like 100mah.

a dummy battery is just any metel conductor (some ppl stack magnets together) to fill the extra battery cavity space.

if you want your laser to blast like in that animation you will then have to ditch your red efforts and buy a greenie LoL.

michael

Last edited:

5jf5

Thanks, really appreciated!
I think I'll buy the ultrafire batteries.

Would I need an heatsink or the aixiz module will be ok?:thinking: