Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First build with SOC diode

i have this short open can diode(SF-AW210 red) i got for 6$ on ebay and i want to build a lab style laser with it.
i searched for a couple of hours and decided to build what you guys call a DDL driver

Also, does anyone know something about the laser module here i am going to use?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200650700085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

My question is, how much current should i drive the diode at for a reasonable lifetime, say around 100 hours

from this graph, i can see that the absolute maximum should be 350mA
bitdlc.jpg

Fiddy

hey man

that module will work but most heat sinks use the common size of 12mm Diameter modules, not 16mm like that one!
heres a 12mm Aixiz module here

A quick search revealed between 300-350mA is a good range and with most things, the lower you set the current the longer life it will have!

~330mA will make ~200mW.

diode_red_roundup.PNG

thanks, but do you know if the lens on the laser housing have AR coating on them and does it significantly increase output if they do?

Fiddy

with the modules, they usually come with uncoated acrylic lenses unless stated otherwise!

According to my testing they have a small increase compared to a 3 element glass lens ~5mW more, probably a bit more than the standard uncoated acrylic lens tho.