Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Build + Tutorial for $55 445nm labby!!

Hello from South Africa!

Inspired by so many other CPU cooler builds, I decided my first diy build would be a lab laser. It's not professional but is IS cheap, durable and impossible to overheat. What more could I ask for? :p

I am a total newbie. Here's how I did it,, NOOB STYLE!!!:

What you need:

-Ca$$i0 A140 diode: $40 - DTR and others sell these on lpf
-Aixiz module: $4 - HighTechDealZ - Aixiz Laser Module - Blank
-Glass aixiz lens: $8 - ebay or look around on lpf
-Heatsink: $2
-Other components.. a few more $ - local electronics store. View driver link.

Heatsink & drilling:

Went to a e-scrapyard and got a cpu heatsink. 2$.
Tip: You will save big munneh if you get scrap value (without functioning fan) vs 'secondhand' value.

NOTE: Copper-core ones are very difficult to drill - I think because the copper expands when it gets hot, making the hole too small for your drill bit which gets stuck.
I would advise you to use aluminium unless you want to spend ages, dunking in cold water and with lots of stuck bits.
Remember to use oil and work your way up to 12mm GRADUALLY. This actually saves time because you do not have to wait for the copper to cool down before continuing. I used: 2mm, 5mm, 7mm, 10mm, 11.5mm (i think this really helped to get a perfect finish) and finally 12mm. No fancy reamer, just care, love and affection. And a slow drill speed :whistle:

Tip: Put in dishwasher to get rid of all drill oil.
attachment.php

Installing module:

After soldering my pins and wires (pinout for a 445 diode here: http://www.google.co.za/imgres?q=140+pinout&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=h8RYZ79psjrT8M:&imgrefurl=http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/140-diode-pin-out-diagram-62237.html&docid=w374k7Xwf1rwRM&w=320&h=278&ei=AiR3TpWSB6rT0QXsgIWdCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=636&vpy=304&dur=3278&hovh=209&hovw=241&tx=166&ty=102&page=2&tbnh=153&tbnw=140&start=13&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:13&biw=1066&bih=725)

Tip: Strip and loop an old wire at one end and put it around your wrist. Strip other end and tie to any hunk of metal. You have just made an antistatic wristband to protect your diode from static. Simple, cheap and effective.

I then pushed diode into aixiz module and then pushed that into my drilled heatsink... Doing things n00b-style I did not make a set screw. I just used some thermal adhesive from Dealextreme and pushed it in there. Maybe I will regret that later.

The driver:

The lm317 driver was simple to make. At 12v the driver heated up quite a bit - so remember to also let your driver know that you love it just as much by fixing it to an ugly sawn-off piece of aluminium. If you used a pot to adjust the current like I did - make sure it is rated above 1.5W. Here's a simple schematic. http://www.rog8811.com/laserdriver.htm]Laser driver - It can be done

Tip: Touch the ends of the driver wires together while power is OFF before soldering it to your diode. I do not think this is neccessary for lm317 as there are no capacitors in series but it is a good habit for future that could save you a diode.

-Here is how to work out resistor values for your driver LM317 Current Calculator - Electric Circuit
-And i needed to modify my pot for fine adjustment by putting a resistor in parallell, this is my favorite link help with parallell resistance Online Parallel Resistor Calculator
attachment.php

I soldered the wires to the driver and voila. Although I didn't bother, if you really want a nice-looking unit, install driver in a project box (don't forget to drill holes for ventilation!!)
Be careful not to pull those diode wires or you might end up with a very lonely diode pin. :(
Just an idea- To prevent this you could try drilling a teeny hole at the back and screwing in a bolt with a washer and tighten that with the wires underneath to prevent accidental pulling. I didn't bother.

Beamshots:

Anyone ever been to Cape Town?
attachment.php

Table Mountain
attachment.php

attachment.php

Fine, there may have been a little smoke from the neighbours chimney :D
attachment.php

Ah.. how surreal.. the mother city
attachment.php

This one is hitting a tree, I know it doesnt look like it!!! Trees can be sneaky.
attachment.php

Thank you fore looking and I hope I helped someone. :beer:
Feel free to ask any questions or criticize.

Attachments

• DSC07603_800x600.JPG
    DSC07603_800x600.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,140
  • DSC07625_800x600.JPG
    DSC07625_800x600.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_0476_800x600.jpg
    IMG_0476_800x600.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_0494_800x600.jpg
    IMG_0494_800x600.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_0512_800x600.jpg
    IMG_0512_800x600.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • IMG_0518_800x600.jpg
    IMG_0518_800x600.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • 317496_10150295716891086_631771085_8515649_1173373705_n (1)_800x600.jpg
    317496_10150295716891086_631771085_8515649_1173373705_n (1)_800x600.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,098
  • IMG00032-20110910-1401_800x600.jpg
    IMG00032-20110910-1401_800x600.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,910
Last edited:

ARG

Re: First build - guide for $55 labby (by a noob - for a noob)

Awesome guide! Great pictures too! I really enjoyed the captions ;)

Wow nice guide, man.

I was wondering where you lived at first. Cape town looks beautiful.

Wow nice guide, man.
I was wondering where you lived at first. Cape town looks beautiful.

Thanks! :beer:
And I am glad someone enjoyed the not-so-formal approach.

Yeah Cape Town is a great city for so many reasons, I really do count myself lucky to live here.
If you ever come to South Africa on holiday - don't even bother with Johannesburg our capital.

South Africa does have many problems though - poverty, lack of education, racism, political instability etc.

One can only hope these things will improve with time..

once again thanks for the encouragement - it goes a long way to help me have the confidence to post these things!

Nice guide. Simple terms and simple pictures. Very encouraging.
Well done !
:gj:

Hello from South Africa!

Inspired by so many other CPU cooler builds, I decided my first diy build would be a lab laser.It's not professional but is IS cheap, durable and impossible to overheat. What more could I ask for? :p

I am a total newbie. Here's how I did it,, NOOB STYLE!!!:

What you need:

-Ca$$i0 A140 diode: $40 - DTR and others sell these on lpf
-Aixiz module: $4 - HighTechDealZ - Aixiz Laser Module - Blank
-Glass aixiz lens: $8 - ebay or look around on lpf
-Heatsink: $2
-Other components.. a few more $ - local electronics store. View driver link.

Heatsink & drilling:

Went to a e-scrapyard and got a cpu heatsink. 2$.
Tip: You will save big munneh if you get scrap value (without functioning fan) vs 'secondhand' value.

NOTE: Copper-core ones are very difficult to drill - I think because the copper expands when it gets hot, making the hole too small for your drill bit which gets stuck.
I would advise you to use aluminium unless you want to spend ages, dunking in cold water and with lots of stuck bits.
Remember to use oil and work your way up to 12mm GRADUALLY. This actually saves time because you do not have to wait for the copper to cool down before continuing. I used: 2mm, 5mm, 7mm, 10mm, 11.5mm (i think this really helped to get a perfect finish) and finally 12mm. No fancy reamer, just care, love and affection. And a slow drill speed :whistle:

Tip: Put in dishwasher to get rid of all drill oil.
attachment.php

Installing module:

After soldering my pins and wires (pinout for a 445 diode here: http://www.google.co.za/imgres?q=140+pinout&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbnid=h8RYZ79psjrT8M:&imgrefurl=http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/140-diode-pin-out-diagram-62237.html&docid=w374k7Xwf1rwRM&w=320&h=278&ei=AiR3TpWSB6rT0QXsgIWdCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=636&vpy=304&dur=3278&hovh=209&hovw=241&tx=166&ty=102&page=2&tbnh=153&tbnw=140&start=13&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:13&biw=1066&bih=725)

Tip: Strip and loop an old wire at one end and put it around your wrist. Strip other end and tie to any hunk of metal. You have just made an antistatic wristband to protect your diode from static. Simple, cheap and effective.

I then pushed diode into aixiz module and then pushed that into my drilled heatsink... Doing things n00b-style I did not make a set screw. I just used some thermal adhesive from Dealextreme and pushed it in there. Maybe I will regret that later.

The driver:

The lm317 driver was simple to make. At 12v the driver heated up quite a bit - so remember to also let your driver know that you love it just as much by fixing it to an ugly sawn-off piece of aluminium. If you used a pot to adjust the current like I did - make sure it is rated above 1.5W. Here's a simple schematic. http://www.rog8811.com/laserdriver.htm]Laser driver - It can be done

Tip: Touch the ends of the driver wires together while power is OFF before soldering it to your diode. I do not think this is neccessary for lm317 as there are no capacitors in series but it is a good habit for future that could save you a diode.

-Here is how to work out resistor values for your driver LM317 Current Calculator - Electric Circuit
-And i needed to modify my pot for fine adjustment by putting a resistor in parallell, this is my favorite link help with parallell resistance Online Parallel Resistor Calculator
attachment.php

I soldered the wires to the driver and voila. Although I didn't bother, if you really want a nice-looking unit, install driver in a project box (don't forget to drill holes for ventilation!!)
Be careful not to pull those diode wires or you might end up with a very lonely diode pin. :(
Just an idea- To prevent this you could try drilling a teeny hole at the back and screwing in a bolt with a washer and tighten that with the wires underneath to prevent accidental pulling. I didn't bother.

Beamshots:

Anyone ever been to Cape Town?
attachment.php

Table Mountain
attachment.php

attachment.php

Fine, there may have been a little smoke from the neighbours chimney :D
attachment.php

Ah.. how surreal.. the mother city
attachment.php

This one is hitting a tree, I know it doesnt look like it!!! Trees can be sneaky.
attachment.php

Thank you fore looking and I hope I helped someone. :beer:
Feel free to ask any questions or criticize.

nyc job n it was very inspiring fr me.cud plz tell me whr to look or how to do a burning laser from a LG dvd rw ? plz thanx .

nyc job n it was very inspiring fr me.cud plz tell me whr to look or how to do a burning laser from a LG dvd rw ? plz thanx .

pls dont quote the whole post just copy the part you have question in your post.

As said above, please edit and delete your quotation, it is not nice for other users.

This is not a toy. .. :undecided:
This is a unit to be used in laser scanners.

Nice Labby...i have nearly the same heatsink but with a centered hole drilled out.
Any advice why you not centered the hole?
All in all nice tutorial! :)

Nice Labby...i have nearly the same heatsink but with a centered hole drilled out.
Any advice why you not centered the hole?
All in all nice tutorial! :)

My scanner needs a specific beam elevation and till then ii can play around with 2 options for elevation.
Also allows space to drill mounting holes and also wire 'fasteners'.

Any reason to center it exactly?

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I understand...the wirefasteners are also a good thing i didn't have :(
I had to drill it centered because the copperpart is...uh...i'll make a picture :D
IMG_0062_klein.jpg
IMG_0065_klein.jpg

I understand...the wirefasteners are also a good thing i didn't have :(
I had to drill it centered because the copperpart is...uh...i'll make a picture :D

Hmm I can't quite make out the elevation of the copper but it looks wonky?!?!?!:crackup:

It would have helped if you used a rectangular shaped one to help it to sit firm and flat - but hey whatever is free.. goes.. :beer:

The fins are on two sides flattened so it stand realy stable.
The coppercore is on one side like a cup :D
And yes..it was free ;) :beer: