Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First Build, and Some Questions.

Azriel

I've been interested in building a laser of my own for a while, and after seeing a video by Kipkay, I thought I was ready to go. But, when I did some research on here and on many recommended websites, I saw I was a little short.

I currently have 2 Aixiz 650nm 5mW 3.2VDC laser modules. For the first diode, I have a Sony DRU-830A DVD burner, which I believe is 18X. The second, from a TrueTech tt1620 DVD player/burner.

So firstly, what kind of diodes can I expect to find? If all extracting goes well, should I have two diodes that will produce red lasers? Is there an IR laser or two floating around? How can I tell the nm and mW of a laser I use these in?

And as for the drivers, I've seen the PhazonXL driver tutorial, but that thing is far too blocky for my needs and it's not explained clearly enough for me to apply that tutorial to other parts. Should I buy a driver, and if so, what kinds are there and what should I need?

And finally, what kind of protective eye wear should I get? I've had a little trouble finding a cheap pair that does a good job, and I'm not sure what wavelength they should protect against in the first place.

Thank you muchly for any help.

Kevlar

Well, first things first;

Welcome to LPF!!!

Look around and use the “Search” function, it is very helpful if you’re looking for some specific information. If you don’t find what you want the first time, try different “key words”.

A good place to start is here, the “Rules & Stickies” section, pay special attention to the “Stickies”: http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/

If you’re looking for information on how to build a laser check out the links in my sig.

Enjoy your stay!! You will find this a great community with lot of very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful people. :beer:

Morgan

Welcome too, but don't forget to introduce yourself in the, "Welcome", section so we can get to know you a little too.

Check out the links in my sig below for an intro to laser building.

G'luck,

M
:)

I shall also warmly greet you into this wonderful community, welcome!

Now, first thing you'll realise is that word "Kipkay" here is right above "Douchebag" and a little bit under "Muthafukka" on the list of frequently used profanities (as insults).

Second thing you'll realise is that finding the diodes inside the sleds is a bit more difficult for first time :) Search for ribbon cable which have three pins soldered to it from below.

There is both 650nm red and 780nm NIR diodes inside dvd burners.

How to tell them apart prior to extraction ? Almost impossible. In my experience I have found that red diodes sometimes are not entirely flush surface from which pins are protruding, but simetimes the smaller circle from which the pins go is a little extruded.
Very rare cases of IR diodes being marked "HR" next to it's pins and IR diode marked "R".

How to tell them apart after extraction is the easy part.
Red diodes have a characteristic blue reflection on their little windows (if they are not Long Open cans, in which case it's quite easy to recognise), while NIR diodes have a greenish reflection.

Power your IR diodes with 250-280 mA max , and red diodes with some 400 mA, 450mA if very good heatsink is present .

You can see we are talking curent here, not voltage.

Laser diodes require constant current source to operate, not constant voltage. Guess what batteries are (and why Kip is on that list).

Laser goggles to protect yourself :
Red laser safety goggles/590-780nm protective goggles [OLRLG650] - $14.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Enjoy your stay, be safe, PM me with any questions you might have,

And have fun!

Kevlar

Now, first thing you'll realise is that word "Kipkay" here is right above "Douchebag" and a little bit under "Muthafukka" on the list of frequently used profanities (as insults).

:crackup::crackup::crackup:^^^^^^:crackup::crackup::crackup:

+1 rep for making me LMFAO!! :beer:

Morgan

I shall also warmly greet you into this wonderful community, welcome!

Second thing you'll realise is that finding the diodes inside the sleds is a bit more difficult for first time :) Search for ribbon cable which have three pins soldered to it from below.

There is both 650nm red and 780nm NIR diodes inside dvd burners.

How to tell them apart prior to extraction ? Almost impossible. In my experience I have found that red diodes sometimes are not entirely flush surface from which pins are protruding, but simetimes the smaller circle from which the pins go is a little extruded.
Very rare cases of IR diodes being marked "HR" next to it's pins and IR diode marked "R".

How to tell them apart after extraction is the easy part.
Red diodes have a characteristic blue reflection on their little windows (if they are not Long Open cans, in which case it's quite easy to recognise), while NIR diodes have a greenish reflection.

Power your IR diodes with 250-280 mA max , and red diodes with some 400 mA, 450mA if very good heatsink is present .

You can see we are talking curent here, not voltage.

Laser diodes require constant current source to operate, not constant voltage. Guess what batteries are (and why Kip is on that list).

Laser goggles to protect yourself :
Red laser safety goggles/590-780nm protective goggles [OLRLG650] - $14.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Enjoy your stay, be safe, PM me with any questions you might have,

And have fun!

- Are the diodes from the sleds mentioned definitely going to handle that current? I haven't seen the drive number before but if it can take that current I'll make a note of it. If it's not definitely known to handle 400mA, (the LOC is only recommended at 420mA for a good life), it may pop if fed that much surely?

M

- Are the diodes from the sleds mentioned definitely going to handle that current? I haven't seen the drive number before but if it can take that current I'll make a note of it. If it's not definitely known to handle 400mA, (the LOC is only recommended at 420mA for a good life), it may pop if fed that much surely?

M
If it can't take 400mA, it's not even worth the aixiz module, but it's good for practise.

Okay, correction (due to possibility of founding SCC diode),

Start feeding the diode 350 mA, that's about the maximum SCC can take, and both long diodes will still output somewhere around 200mW after optics.

Only if you're certain that the diode is Long die one (no pun intended), then feed 400 mA, even more with good heatsink.

EDIT: Thanks to Kevlar for repz.

Last edited:

Morgan

I would even start lower than that Eudaimonium. The only reason I say this is, if it's not even capable of 350mA then it'll pop one of his only diodes before doing the science of reaching lasing threshold; seeing the coherent light; etc. At the beginning when I was learning I only had scrounged diodes that popped way before 350mA and would have been gutted to just see a flash and then LED. Sure, crank it up after getting a beam, and putting a dot on something, and maybe smoking a match but I'd be tempted to start a fair bit less than 100mA for the red. I think you can gain quite a lot from the weaker cousins of the diodes we like to bully.

I'm not trying to pick a fight I just don't want the disappointment to start earlier than it has to for our new friend. There will be plenty more of that to come later, as you and I surely know! :crackup:

M

I would even start lower than that Eudaimonium. The only reason I say this is, if it's not even capable of 350mA then it'll pop one of his only diodes before doing the science of reaching lasing threshold; seeing the coherent light; etc. At the beginning when I was learning I only had scrounged diodes that popped way before 350mA and would have been gutted to just see a flash and then LED. Sure, crank it up after getting a beam, and putting a dot on something, and maybe smoking a match but I'd be tempted to start a fair bit less than 100mA for the red. I think you can gain quite a lot from the weaker cousins of the diodes we like to bully.

I'm not trying to pick a fight I just don't want the disappointment to start earlier than it has to for our new friend. There will be plenty more of that to come later, as you and I surely know! :crackup:

M
Very true.

Well I learned on my own mistakes in the past. I had a batch of DVD burners I knew were all 16x , and all LCC diodes capable of suffering the bullying.

Very well, starting at 100mA sounds like a good idea.

I'm glad we could agree Eud. I tip my hat sir...

M
Likewise, I'm glad somebody here can correct mistakes I make :D

So, let's wish OP good luck in his first laser project in his life (and welcome to the worst/best addiction in his life, but don't tell him that).

Morgan

^We are also the, "Support Group"! :gh:

Good luck indeed and we look forward to progress reports and photos.

M