Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First build: 405nm 100mW diode + drivers, what did I do wrong?

Just yesterday I got my parts in the mail, just in time to assemble everything while I have time before school starts again. Below are the items I bought.

Bought this because it had the drivers already.
405nm mini blue laser AixiZ exclusive 8x13mm adj lens on eBay.ca

Used it with this diode.
New 100mW 405nm Blue-Violet blu-ray Laser Diode on eBay.ca

I just finished soldering everything together (I'm quite good at that :yh:), so I'm hoping it wasn't that. From what I read on the driver's description, it had an operating range of 5DVC, and I know that AA batteries are 1.5V so 3xAA would be the maximum (correct me if I'm wrong). The output at the end, when powered by 2xAA batteries, was not what I had expected. The purple color is barely visible even in a dark room.

Can someone help me, a first time builder, isolate the problems and possibly save his project?

Last edited:

Re: First build: 450nm 100mW diode + drivers, what did I do wrong?

it is 405nm. just to another members to read it :)

possibilities, from the most probable to the lower probable:
1: you are using a 100mW diode with a 5mW driver (low current supplied)
2: you damaged the laser diode while soldering (if you soldered direct on it)
3: the driver had an operating range of 5+ volts, but the diode you soldered in is 4~4.5v (you are suppling 4.5v to a 5v min. driver)
4: you already burned the diode when turning it on, due to the small (VERY SMALL) module, and the heat generated when soldering/powering the diode.

try putting your hand on the laser beam, and see it burns or heats you :)