Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First 445 Build worked..but now it doesnt??

xivlia

okay. so a few weeks ago i built my first ever 445 laser. or should i say. my first EVER laser build. :D. i was using A-140 LD, Jib's lm1117 driver and 2x GTL brand LR123A batteries. (same size as CR123A). i set up everything by using bhwollen's hotlight tutorial, since ive got a blue hotlight also. but i de-anodised it. anyway, lets get to the point. i succesfully made it lase. it was working till my batteries went flat. i know this because it would lase..and slowly get dimmer and dimmer till it outputed no beam. soo...i took out my batts and charged them fully...but after i put them in..my LD was LED'd...no beam..jsut dim light like LED...wtf? so i took everything apart and tried to redo the whole build. and now there is NO output.. the jib diver had exposed wires. i think i must of shortened the diver, but jib tells me that hiis drivers have protection against that sort of thing. he says it might be a bad driver so i send him it so he can test it. but im wanting to know if there is any damage done to the diode from this whole mess up :p.

protection against shorting? :thinking:
or do you mean.. protection against overheating.. (thermal pad)
ya i dont think your suppose to let the battery over discharge..

xivlia

protection against shorting. and what do you mean dont let the battery over discharge? i hadnt mentioned anything about discharging the batteries.

Over discharged the batteries, so the protection circuit kicked in...Get New batteries, and send those to another member to have the protection circuit removed, and the batteries properly recharged.

my mdx host was shorting on my jib driver, it got hot the heatsink shifted to make contact with the wall, shorting to case nuetral, my diode was led until I correceted them, I have 2 GTL 1230mw/h 3.6 lr123a, if your batts are the same as mine they are not protected. I would check for a short.

well gonna add i dont think they are protected mine are the short version all the protected are about 1 or 2mm longer, :p in case im wrong

Last edited:
@ xivlia

Did you send out the driver to Jib to test it like he said on the other thread? If so, did you hear anything back? When I was helping you over there, you never said that you had a full battery run before it went dim..... :confused:

xivlia

@ rocket689 yes ive sent him the driver back to get it tested. but its been 5 days so i havent heard anything yet. it normaly takes a week or so for delivery time. and yeah, my batteries where full. but then it got flat quite fast. however i just remembered that before connecting my batteries i had put them in my pocket, and one of them got insanely hot. im assuming something else in my pocket was shorting out the batteries.

@ TheReddish

yes mine are the same batteries apart from mine are 1800mAh,

i guess i will just need to wait and see what jib has to say. if its not the driver, then i will try and protect evey component and try again. if that fails as well. then the diode is fried.

16340 is the same size as a cr123a. You say your battery is the same size as a cr123a. I was thinking the same thing. That mah is pretty high for a cr123a. I've never seen higher than 1000 mah. :thinking:

xivlia

okay nvm about the mah, i need this to be solved, i made a custom build lm317 constant voltage driver. @ 300mA and the diode did not lase. the diode must be broken.

xivlia

okay, ive found out that my batteries are dead. i charged them overnight. one is 0.00v and the other is 0.36v....that has got to be the problem.. but il see what jib has to say about the driver i sent him.

xivlia

okay, problem solved, diode works, i made my custom TS317 based driver. added 2new cr123a and 2x AA batteries thats 9v altogether running at 560mA and almost oblitirating everything in its way :)

jib77

okay, problem solved, diode works, i made my custom TS317 based driver. added 2new cr123a and 2x AA batteries thats 9v altogether running at 560mA and almost oblitirating everything in its way :)

Awesome! ... glad your diode is not dead. Sounds like the driver might be ok, Ill still check it to make sure and try to get it back in the mail the same day I get it.

xivlia

hehe thanks :). yeah the driver is probably fine lol. at the moment my laser is hooked up to a prototype board so its not portable :(. but ohwell. :p