Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*Finished* Pics & Vid -Xbox HD DVD (Blu-Ray) Laser

MB500

I have harvested the 405nm diode from an Xbox 360 HD DVD drive ($49.99) and got it to lase. I could find almost no information on the diodes inside them. There are 2 LDs inside it, a 4 pin and a 3 pin. The violet 405nm is the 3 pin diode. There was a part number on the diode itself but I could not find any search results on it, or who the manufacturer is. I have tried the sharp, sanyo, sony, and nichia websites but searching the number on their site came up with nothing. The number is: SB017A981.

All done! I'm using the LM317 laser driver circuit. I did not use a boost driver, but instead used two A23 12 volt batteries. It is being run at 35mA, and the host is a Dorcy I bought from target for $20. Here are some pictures!:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLmvh2PzRys[/media]

1003dg1.jpg

49134743ic1.jpg

bluraylp5.jpg

Here is a pinout diagram:
31455046pw0gf3.jpg

MERC

Re: HD DVD Laser Questions

Whould be cheaper just to buy a ps3 sled.

MB500

Re: Xbox HD DVD Laser

Yea, but I wasn't sure where to buy those, or how to get group buy. Plus I had a best buy gift card :).

Hey, new to this forum. I also bought an xbox HD-DVD drive ($45 on amazon). I will also be doing this, I will take some good Macro shots of the process. Hopefully I'll get it this week.

I've got one of these in the mail too, got mine for 99 cents on ebay :]

thebucketmouse said:
I've got one of these in the mail too, got mine for 99 cents on ebay :]

Damn, I got screwed. Oh well, at least I didn't pay $1,699 for mine :)

Nah 40$ is what most people are paying for them. I just searched for as-is drives on ebay that probably have some mechanical problem (drive doesnt open or something)

thebucketmouse said:
Nah 40$ is what most people are paying for them. I just searched for as-is drives on ebay that probably have some mechanical problem (drive doesnt open or something)

Lucky. Hope the diode is good.

MB500

If you are going to use that pinout, I must warn you. I tried all the different ways for positive and negative; but the way it works, the negative is not connected to the pin that is grounded to the case. I really don't know why it works this way because usualy the ground pin is actually grounded to the case!

MB500

I don't have a laser meter. But I'm running at 35mA, which I hope is safe. Thats around what most of them run at from what I've seen. I can't find a data sheet.

MB500

I have it temporarily connected to a power supply and 2 multimeters, but I will be ordering a current regulator chip to put it in a flashlight today. It will have about 5 components which will be extremely hard to jam in a flashlight :). But when I have it done I'll be sure to post pics and my driver circuitry.

i may be getting an xbox hd dvd player due to price drop and i'm considering tearing it apart to make a laser out of it.
i dont have a lot of equipment for testing stuff so hopefully i can look at enough DIY lasers from xbox hd dvd player so i can just figure it out.
i'd love to put it in a pen form or a flashlight case if the pen is too hard to accomplish.
i've never done a DIY before but i figured at this price for diode, how could i mess up too bad.

Well... getting the diode out of the drive is trickier than you may think, if you've never done it before ;D
good luck though. I hope I don't kill mine while I'm trying to take it out.