Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Finally My Survival Lasers 1498mW Review

After all that had gone wrong with my order I'm sure to be a customer Gary at Survival Lasers will never be able to forget.:whistle: At any rate on with the review:

12 out of 10 on Customer Service +2 above max rating shouldn't be possible but in this case it is.

Gary went above and beyond, after the positive experience I received I will gladly do more business with Survival Lasers in the future based on the following.

1) I attempt to assemble the laser on June 10th but find the lens and parts bundle were missing, good thing I have that card, Gary actually answers his calls and is very professional, he sends the parts bundle and it arrives on 6-13.

2) The assembly went perfectly, and it was now test time. Goggles on check, laser on WTH it died one second later. :mad: I called Gary and he agreed to send a new diode but did not have the 1400mW on hand with a copper module so I told Gary I had better wait because I just have to have the copper. Gary did not have me wait, instead he decides to ship a superior 1739mW diode:drool: and at no extra cost to me. Talk about trust he hadn't even gotten my defective diode back yet.

3) The new 1739mW diode arrives on Thursday 6-14 and I begin assembly, this time the host rolls off the table - my fault - snapping the wires in half. I call Gary saying "Your never going to believe this but" :yabbem: I asked Gary if it were possible for me to tie the wires together to get it to work again. Instead Gary has me ship it back to him for a re-solder.

4) Gary sends me two detailed emails, the first letting me know that diode 1 did indeed die. In the 2nd email Gary stated that he conducted detailed tests and diode 2 was alive and well, clean beam, no debris had gotten into the module after its fall. Gary shipped it back to me.

5) The re-soldered diode arrives on Friday 6-22 and this time due to all the bad luck I'd been having I give it to my talented wife for assembly (she crafts jewellry and had an easy time with the laser, no table fumble for her). Finally it's alive, we have a beam and it didn't die on me.

6) Survival Lasers has proven to be a business you can trust. Gary is honest and clearly a person of great integrity. He answered all of my calls, got back with me and took care of my order to the very end until everything went right. This is beyond a doubt the best customer service experience I have received from any company ever. :yh:

SAFETY and Design 9 out of 10

Goggles are a must, it is highly recommended to never leave the laser on any unsecured surface when active. Either hold it directly in hand or clamp it in a tripod, this host will easily roll away if not secured, the risk of a serious accident is just not worth taking that chance.

I have to knock 1 point off on the lense focus threading design, the lens is a little wobbly and tends to change focus when touched even with the spring used to help counter this. I might have to use teflon tape for a tighter fit between the threads. Or maybe I can get a custum built and threaded focus lock.:thinking:

The heat sinking capabilities on this host are great, the entire host really does act as a heat sink. I noticed that the extended copper heat sink distributes heat through the entire host.

Power and Cool down 10 out of 10

While it is true that I can get 1739mW if I had a G1 lense I'd prefer the better divergence from the AR lense and am willing to sacrifice a couple hundred mW.

Using the standard AR glass lens the following power ratings were measured. 1498mW Max power - duty cycle on high power 1 minute on 2 minutes off
219mW Low power using a single 18650 battery

Price Paid 8 out of 10

I paid a little over $400.00 for the 1.4 parts bundle, two pairs of goggles, 2 CR123 batteries, the charger, 2 18650 batteries with the charger and 1 laser tripod.

In conclusion I highly recommend Survival Lasers they really do carry quality up to spec lasers and have exceptional customer service.

http://laserpointerforums.com/members/cgchaser/albums/lasers/7082-dsc-0173.jpg

Very nice stainless steel host with the extended copper heat sink.

http://laserpointerforums.com/members/cgchaser/albums/lasers/7080-survival-laser-1498mw.jpg

Beam shot over lake Lewisville

http://laserpointerforums.com/members/cgchaser/albums/lasers/7081-dsc-0167.jpg

Standard AR glass lens peak output power on high is 1498 using 2 cr123As or 2 18650s

Garoq

Thanks for that very nice review and the photos. :thanks: You are correct, using a little teflon tape along with the spring will tighten up and smooth the focusing action.

I didn't measure the output with the standard lens but your number is almost exactly what I would have predicted based on the performance with the G-1 lens.

I am glad to hear that you now have a functioning laser after all the trouble :D Gary is top notch, prompt & professional - I had no doubt he would have gone about & beyond to satisfy his customers because I have worked with him before. Well done Garoq & happy safe lasing cgchaser! :beer:

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that you now have a functioning laser after all the trouble :D Gary is top notch, prompt & professional - I had no doubt he would have gone about & beyond to satisfy his customers because I have worked with him before. Well done Garoq & happy safe lasing cgchaser! :beer:

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad the 445 nightmare ended thanks to the customer service skills of Gary. I can see why he is highly recommended. Ah yes my lasing grounds take me to lake Lewisville. This lake is massive I'm glad to be sorrounded by its waters.:drool: Perfect for any laser hobbyist, all the best and safe lasering to you.

Nice review of your new Laser...
Here are the pics you linked to...;)

7082-dsc-0173.jpg

7080-survival-laser-1498mw.jpg

7081-dsc-0167.jpg

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Ah yes my lasing grounds take me to lake Lewisville. This lake is massive I'm glad to be sorrounded by its waters.:drool: Perfect for any laser hobbyist, all the best and safe lasering to you.

Thanks, and same to you :D BTW just keep in mind of other people possibly across this giant lake when you're lighting up the tree tops & the skies around it. It's something to consider when you're already trying not to hit any type of air traffic. Even though folks could be a few miles out across shore, they can definitely see 1.5W of 445 if you're lasing too low to the ground ;) :beer:

Last edited:
Thanks, and same to you :D BTW just keep in mind of other people possibly across this giant lake when you're lighting up the tree tops & the skies around it. It's something to consider when you're already trying not to hit any type of air traffic. Even though folks could be a few miles out across shore, they can definitely see 1.5W of 445 if you're lasing too low to the ground ;) :beer:

Good point, this is why all of my beam shots taken outside are always at angles to ensure it goes above people. I generally don't shine the laser straight up into the sky and instead try to find a beam stop. Any tree I hit I always make sure theres no air unit in the distance behind it just in case portions of the beam shine through.

Since I'm also a storm chaser and track weather conditions winds are also important to me. I can only lase in calm conditions as I don't want to risk my tripods getting knocked over.