Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Finally got brave.

Ok so I finally decided to take apart my dvd burner. I did all the details to make a burning laser pointer. I am running the LD from Daedal's circuit with an input voltage from a 9 volt battery. Now, not wanting to blow my precious LD, I am getting a nice red dot at 130 mA. Also the LD is running at 2.72 volts. Is this too low to burn anything? Or is my focus off? I have it focused so it is a nice round bright red dot about 5 or 6 feet out in front of me on the wall. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I dont want to push the mA too far and ruin the only LD I have.

Kaspar lol thanks, but are you being sarcastic? I do not want to blow my LD. Do you think 130 mA is too low?

Im being serious, I mean...the dorcy mod does like...300ma I think
How do you control the MA on daedals circuit?

Gazoo

Death Angel said:
Kaspar lol thanks, but are you being sarcastic? I do not want to blow my LD. Do you think 130 mA is too low?

Make and model of the DVD burner????????

Gazoo

It is a 4X burner...do not go over 100ma's. I harvested one from an older HP 4X burner and it died as soon as I went to 150 ma's. If you want it to last awhile stay at 100ma's...even that might be pushing it a bit hard.

LarryQ

I believe it is only a 4X dvd burner....

Not sure if it's going to be able to burn, and will not take high current.

Larry

HOLY SMOKES. LITERALLY!!!! ;D ;D ;D I turned it 160 mA and I can burn a hole clean through electrical tape. WOW I am excited. My 1st DIY red a SUCCESS. WOOT WOOT!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Gazoo said:
It is a 4X burner...do not go over 100ma's. I harvested one from an older HP 4X burner and it died as soon as I went to 150 ma's. If you want it to last awhile stay at 100ma's...even that might be pushing it a bit hard.

Not sure though cuz at 130 mA it was not that bright and didnt burn squat.

Gazoo

You are lucky.... ;D Be careful though...if you insist on pushing it that high it will die unless it is one of those freak diodes. Keep the duty cycles very short.

And btw, congratulations on your first harvest, I am glad it was successful.. ;)

Thanks Gazoo. I am really happy. Yeah I only have about 20 seconds on because man this sucker gets hot to the touch. I am running at a steady 150 mA and it still burns tape about 8 inches away.

I'm glad Gazoo asked the question soon enough.  You are pushing a 4x to the max--- It may not last long but you have a good bed for the new GB diode.
If you burn out that diode, you follow a long line of us who have about 20 sad LED's  :(  
You have done the ground work.  Congrats.

Mike

OMG -- You got a heatsink on that diode ??? You must have a heatsink.

Kaspar lol where have you been man? Its all over the forums. His cicuit is a current regulator and thus controlling milliamps with a pot.

Oh, so you can just adjust the pot, cool.

Im deffinatly ganna make one soon, wanna help me when I do?

lol

Can I buy all the parts at RS?