Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fighting Racism (explicit)

So this isn't laser related, so I am posting it here.

This is a fairly lengthy video that I feel that gamers should watch. About racism.

I am a heavy CoD gamer, and I upload videos daily, and stream, etc etc.

This happened during a stream, and I needed to make a video about it.

I don't normally do plugs, but this is more important than some gameplay video (in my eyes anyway).

Last edited:

Nice, I wish there were more people about that held the same view.

I'll share it on Facebook when I'm at a computer, who knows maybe it will go viral.

All kinds of 'isms and 'phobias get on my wick personally. If the energy we spent tormenting people was actually spent on being nicer the world might be a much better place.

Last edited:

ped

Couldn't agree more.
It's now almost "socially accepted" , its become so diluted that its happening in many households around the world, and these people need better education, They need to be taught from a young age to NOT play FPS games on a joypad.

Mouse & keyboard....period.

Racism sucks too.

I'm with Ped. Real FPSers use a mouse and keyboard ;)

And if you go on XBox Live (or anywhere, for that matter) looking for racism, you'll find it. IMO, if you let your kid play on XBox Live, you may as well let them join a gang, sell crack, or do whatever it is kids do when you leave 'em alone with strangers. An acquaintance of mine told me, he doesn't have a son anymore; he only has a closed door that curses loudly from time to time.

My parents used to always tell me that you become who you hang out with, or something like that. I wish I was better at remembering words of wisdom...

And since this is one of those politically correct type of threads, I feel I should remind you that whenever I say "you," I'm not talking to anybody in particular, but to the non-specific you, as in, "you'ze guise." I never figured bloomie for someone with kids though.

Last edited:

ped

Where I live, there are very few none whites, I don't even know how to say it without it sounding racist ?.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make, we don't experience racism in my neck of the woods. I can't speak for XBOX live as I'm not 12 (jk bloomy) :D .

There isn't a definite line between biggotry and stereotyping. But you can't satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Me, I don't judge a book by its cover unless the author chose to put the synopsis on the cover.

Part of the problem is that rap has become more prominent and trashy. Some of them call each other the N word in public and in rap. I'm tempted to say that rap results in more homicidal deaths than metal music does. With racial words being spewed out more, public or in music, more people are probably going to think it's okay to do so.

I applaud the OP for not blending into the silent majority. It takes balls to speak out like that. You're a better man than I.

I do, however, completely disagree with the statements towards the end of the video about probably not making a difference though. Standing up to the person in that game probably meant a ton to the target of the insult. People have no idea how powerless you feel when you are a true minority.

I'm in a unique position in that I appear to be white. So I get treated like I am until a racist knows my name. Non-racists treat me the same either way So I get to experience racism from both sides of the fence at times. It helps me understand why most folks feel like BubonicCronic. But it's not just name calling. It's code for saying it's ok to marginalize a certain group of people. It results in all kinds of mistreatment ranging from mild to life threatening. It's also quite damaging to the recipient.

I remember my first experience with it. I was about 5 and my Mother, Father, and younger sister were at a red light. I car load of men pulled up next to us and started repeatedly calling us beaners, wet backs, etc and to go back to Mexico (funny thing is my ancestors were here 400 years before theirs got here). I remember looking to me Father for protection (a tough boxer) and feeling my heart tear when I realized how helpless he felt. I've had countless other experiences since then.

When you one of those people in a minority, you don't dare laugh and throw larger insults back because you are completely out numbered and do not control the levers of power and gateways to livelihood.

I try to stay away from the topic of racism because I first off believe that most people are not racist. They may have racist feelings (we all do), but they don't act on them. Secondly, it makes many people uncomfortable and I don't want to seem like one of those minorities with a chip on their shoulder. This makes me part of the silent majority and not part of the solution. My hat is off to the OP and I will try to be more like you when I can.

Rifter

If I have learned anything in my years its that racism will never stop, its just human nature.

That said props to the OP for sure, I also step in when I can.

Over 15 years ago, We had a African kid on our Rugby team in high school that just moved to Canada in grade 10, poor English, I was also on the team so i knew him well he was a great kid. He was having a rough time fitting in and one day while walking home I found some kids(3) making racist comments to him in the corner of the school yard and he wasn't even fighting back, he was just sitting there and taking it and they were escalating to physical violence right when I arrived. I knew if I stepped in I would be making a poor choice for myself(im as white as a tic tac) as I would loose some friends if I sided with the African guy in a fight against three very popular white students, I wasn't the most popular kid to begin with. However I couldn't stand by and do nothing so I jumped in and between the two of us we kicked there asses pretty bad as they didn't cave right away and continued past the point they should have ran(not much of a fight really, African kid was over six feet and 200lbs and I was 6 foot 200lbs, not smart to pick a fight with the two biggest guys on the rugby team IMO). Sure enough I became an outcast at school after that. Lost 80% of my friends. Bright side I got to meet a lot of the other outcast minorities and still am good friends with some of them today.

That's my point. Most people seem to feel name calling doesn't count. It's something that I feel they can't really understand unless they are truly out numbered and the subject of the name calling. Another factor is that it's cumulative damage. Each individual instance builds on top of the experiences of the past. It's just too hard to explain to someone that is in the majority.

I, too, live in the south. Hispanics here are what I consider a true minority, being around 5%. I rarely see another Hispanic person here. African American percent of the population is well over 30%. From my perspective, they feel like a majority. This country has a history of periodically purging itself of Mexicans (even ones that are US Citizens). We seem to be in the early stages of another such purge. So the percent of Hispanics may be decreasing to an even smaller number.

The OP basically expressed concern about insulting people for anything that is out of their control, such as their ethnic origin or gender. Basically things that God (if you believe in one) controls. So when we hate others, I feel we are rejecting God. It seems like the big test because loving is so much harder than hating. It is for me, at least.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to call you out in any way BubonicCronic. I was just saying that most people seem to feel the same as what you posted. I apologize for making you feel that way.

Last edited:
Racism will end on the earth when either we become so mixed it doesn't matter, or we have alien visitors so distinctly different we will no longer see any difference at all between human beings.

I would like to bring back this thread to show people this is still an issue in today's gaming world, a pretty big one actually.

Not only do you have gamers threatening to "swat" other simply because they lose at an online game which dosen't affect their lives in any manner, you also now have young kids(10-12) going out and using profanity which I have never heard until I was in my 14-15 teen years! By the look of things, and the type of games which are coming out, this will only get worse so brace yourself fellow gamers.

-Alex

Racism stems from ignorance, but I will say this, there are some cultures which are associated with some races I distinctly dislike. It isn't the race itself but some individuals see this as racism when I bring it up. To me it isn't so because it's how these individuals act, they way they talk, their outlooks and what matters to them, for some I even dislike their music, but again, take the individual out of that culture to where they embrace a different one I am comfortable with and I don't see a problem. I think a lot of people confuse the dislike of cultures with the race, just because of the association with the race. It isn't race in that case.

For shame.
We are all laser racist.
Not a single one of us has a black laser.

But seriously, they're plenty of words to describe someone who is in need of a verbal straightening out without using words of racism, if I ever resorted to using a racial epitaph to curse someone I would feel like less of a man.
Let the dim wit knuckle head rappers continue to drag that flea bit worn out gutter tramp N word through the streets if that's the only way they can make a buck.
Personally I can curse someone for 5 minutes straight and never repeat myself without resorting to using a pathetic old weak played out racial epitaph.

Last edited:

APEX1

Racism is taught! It can be untaught IMO. It is just another forum of hatred.. There have been studies done on this actually. Believe it or not whites are the only ones that can be racist!!!! Seriously, think about it! When a black man shoots a white man what does the media call it??? when a white kills a black what do they call it??? I THINK ITS ALL BULSHIT. All lives matter! Once people start realizing that the world will do a 540! In the military we are all color blind! I see brothers and sisters. Wish the rest of humanity could do the same!!!

I spent some time in Asia and I didn't like their religious culture, it was just so foreign to me it was creepy and because of it, I didn't feel comfortable with the people, on average, where I was visiting. Is it racism? Nope, it was their culture. Of course if I were born into it I wouldn't have an issue, so I'm not blaming anyone, it is just how it is. Here's a more black and white example of a clash of culture which someone might call racism that occurred to me, well, in fact, I was called a racist by the individual I clashed with.

While working in Afghanistan as a SME/civilian leading a radio shop of Air Force radio technicians on Bagram Air Base, one of them kept playing rap music in the truck, when I told him I didn't like it he said I was racist. I for one don't like rap music, I can just feel my blood pressure start climbing when I hear the kind which is just repeating swear word after swear word. I told the guy I thought it was offensive because a racial slur was being repeated over and over again and he said I was being racist, because as a black man he can say or listen to the N world all he wants and I as a white man cannot object to it. Reality was I dislike the rap culture and when mixed with racial slurs drives me up a tree, but if I were born into that culture, no problem! I can see the racial slur as clearly wrong, but as far as the culture goes that's my personal bias and I don't think it is wrong, it is just how it is.

What I think a lot of this comes down to is people being jerks to one another, this guy knew I hated racial slurs and because the music had the N word being repeated over and over again, he decided to take my dislike of it out on me and play the music more often and louder. This reminds me of the kind of folk who are hyper over the top gay acting, the minute they see someone doesn't like a man acting more than feminine, they have a sense of joy by flaunting it in your face, again, taking pleasure out of pushing it in your face simply because you dislike it. I think a lot of the race BS is just that, people being ass holes to one another and using race as a vector to do so. Truth is, there is only the human race among us, the variations are so minor but the mindsets, oh, they can be quite distant from another but the hate isn't, when you hate someone or think you hate their race, you are connecting yourself to them just as much as if you dearly loved them, except in a painful negative way.

Since I'm outing myself for having a dislike of flauntingly over the top feminine behavior from a man, believe me it isn't their s exuality I dislike, it's that behavior and when I can detect someone is pushing it in my face because they can see I am uncomfortable with it, only then is when it pisses me off, otherwise live and let live. Some people just want to be in your face and will use any cause, any ***uality, any racist method they can to do so.

Interesting you can't use the word s e x u a l i t y here without the word s e x being ***'d out.

Last edited: