Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

fibreoptic coupled red laser for disinfection

I am a researcher doing my phd in laser disinfection i Need a 650-660 red laser coupled to a fibrooptic of 400um in thickness and 5 cm in length.The power at the end must be atleast 100mw. i have tried all ends up , but could not find a cheap alternative to test my hypothesis.My study is totally self financed so i need a affordable one.please help me.

Ooh. Me too. I could use a couple of these. Except I'm making taillights for my car. Not quite as noble of a deed as what you are up to.

Eh... but 400um is huge. You would surely lose polarization and all coherence. What does this coupled beam need to look like? What you need on the output will determine what goes into the fiber and and how it is effectively coupled.

did you already tried to use a simple toslink coupler? With some modification you can easily use them with Aixiz modules (without focus/collimator lens). And Toslink cables are available in all kind of size/core diameter etc.

-mo-

I am a researcher doing my phd in laser disinfection i Need a 650-660 red laser coupled to a fibrooptic of 400um in thickness and 5 cm in length.The power at the end must be atleast 100mw. i have tried all ends up , but could not find a cheap alternative to test my hypothesis.My study is totally self financed so i need a affordable one.please help me.

Could you check your hypothesis without a fiber? Shine and observer. It will save you some monies.

Last edited:
I can save you some time: red lasers do not disinfect. Not unless the power is high enough to also destroy whatever the microbes are residing in.

OuPh4.gif

But he said dye. Why would you think it's more correct to use a laughably ambiguous term like chemicals?

If you're a fan of ambiguity, somebody else with a green avatar thinks some people and/or things with Zs in their name are either upstanding citizens or mentally retarded muffin vomit. Maybe.

If you're a fan of ambiguity, somebody else with a green avatar thinks some people and/or things with Zs in their name are either upstanding citizens or mentally retarded muffin vomit. Maybe.

Hey, don't make me find a picture of muffin vomit in the shape of a smile for my avatar. I've already had to post my (copyrighted) chicken & mashed potato sourdough sandwich as my avatar elsewhere.

Back to the OP, fiber coupled from the start = $$. Try contacting CNI about their 655nm fiber coupled laser (or 656nm - this may or may not be a better choice as the "655nm" has a much larger range as it's a diode laser and isn't consistently 655nm, could be more or less within 20nm. 656nm is DPSS and is ONLY 656nm). I know it says the power range is 1-2000mW but they're just indicating the range they can supply, usually the lower the power the cheaper the price. The fiber size you're going for is the largest they offer so you should be good with that one.