Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

FIBER OPTIC lasers

anyones here familiar with the workings of fiber optics lasers? i recently got a 5000 dollar fiber optic power meter and a bunch of IR fiber optic diodes. Im trying to learn how to use them to eventually set up a home network

anyones here familiar with the workings of fiber optics lasers? i recently got a 5000 dollar fiber optic power meter and a bunch of IR fiber optic diodes. Im trying to learn how to use them to eventually set up a home network
You most likely will not be able to set up a viable network with them. They are good for doing long distance communications, but they have a full set of other equipment with them to produce and read the signals.

Post some pictures of what you have. I may be interested in some of it :D

Cyparagon

That's... kind of a lot of money. Gigabit isn't fast enough for you?

Last edited:
Oh wow, those are older diodes, probablty from 2000 or 2001. That's a nice meter though. I would stick that on ebay in the Optical Test Equipment catagory and it will bring some money.

I'd say learn to use it before selling it, it's amazing how much you can learn by doing some simple research instead of cramming electronics in a drawer :)