Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

fiber coupling laser diodes directly.

would it be possible to fiber couple a laser diode by using optical glue to literally glue an optical fiber to the window of a laser diode? i believe it would be impossible for an open can diode, but i have no reason to believe this wont work for a canned diode, and proper alignment of the fibre on the diodes window.

i don't think anyone has ever tried this, but what do you all think? also, would there be any concern about a single mode vs multimode laser, since a single mode laser would likely have a smaller spot size on the window or would it not matter?

If you do, better have it perfectly aligned! I don't know what the refraction index of the glue would be, if it were between the diode and the window though. Off hand, I don't think it would be a good idea to glue something directly upon the window, perhaps the edges of the can might be ok but glue gives off vapors which would likely coat the window and or fiber.

If you do, better have it perfectly aligned! I don't know what the refraction index of the glue would be, if it were between the diode and the window though. Off hand, I don't think it would be a good idea to glue something directly upon the window, perhaps the edges of the can might be ok but glue gives off vapors which would likely coat the window and or fiber.

hmmm... how are laser diodes normally fibre coupled?

hmmm... how are laser diodes normally fibre coupled?

Some are direct coupled like in the coherent CCP diode packages , 19 fibres for 19 emitters .

Some are coupled with the use of a lens - mostly with single diodes , which is the case for a few 2W diodes I had that had FAC and then a lens after to focused it into the fibre

I think you'll find for direct coupling the window would have to be removed , the fibre is physically very close to the dies face and the fibre core has to be matched the die emitter size as well

Last edited: