Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Few questions about IR light

mega

I wonder how dangerous is an IR light from remote control, let's say TV or stereo control.
And my second question is how can I find out if my 5mW laser pointer is emitting any IR light.
Third question would be, how would a typical IR filter look like and where to look for it.

Maven

well from what i hear the ir comming from a low powered laser isn't very troublesome.
you should be able to see the ir comming out of your 5mw with a camera that doesn't have a ir filter(usually cheap ones, and most cell phones) i think people also shine them through something that the green light will get absorbed by when checking them like a coke.

but because the ir isn't columinated (i can't spell sorry) it will come out in more of a shape like the light from a flashlight and the power density will be so much lower that it isn't dangerous

and the light from a remote wouldn't bother you..

mega

Thanks, and would you know how IR filter look like and where in the laser would it be?

IR light is no more damaging than any other light. Also, in a green pen you shouldn't even be worrying about the IR light, as the amount and the focus of the green beam is way more damaging than the IR will ever be.

The only reason to really worry about it, is if you're looking to get an accurate power reading of the green light by itself, since extra IR coming out can raise the reading, but other than that I wouldn't even worry about it.