Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Felony Charge

Ace82

I just read this "stopping a train with my laser" thread, and although it has been locked, I wasn't able to share my input (if anyone cares). I believe this dude is lucky, that he didn't wind up in jail! In California, it is a Felony for shining lasers at anyone in public, especially moving vehicles and aircrafts. Read this article: http://www.myochigh.com/myochigh/oclife/news/article_1950620.php It's too bad that such caution is required because of a few fools who've ruined it for the rest of us. I've been using lasers since 1990, and I always knew not to do stupid things with them, but I always ended up getting in trouble with them in school because other kids wanted to "see" it. Unfortunately, there are many extremely stupid people out there that think lasers are just like a flashlight. Well I also had an acquaintance who served 9 months in jail for shining a 1million candle power light at a police helicopter! Be safe people, and don't let anyone use your laser unless you are willing to pay the ultimate price for their ignorance.

P.S. If you shine a laser/high powered flashlight at an aircraft, THEY WILL FIND YOU!
DON'T DO IT!!

Razako

Why did your friend shine a 1million candlepower light at a police chopper lol?

Ace82

I said "acquaintance", not "friend"... because he is an absolute idiot! I guess he likes to brag about his stupidity. There are too many of them out there!

Razako

Ace82 said:
I said "acquaintance", not "friend"... because he is an absolute idiot! I guess he likes to brag about his stupidity. There are too many of them out there!
I remember when those crappy 1mw red pointers were selling for over $20 in stores. They were a really big thing in school and some "idiots" decided that it would be "hella funny" to point them at the people's faces during assemblies. Red pointers were banned from school shorty after.

Ace82

Yeah, I spent $100 on my first 665nm 5mW laser pen! Is was very powerful for it's time, I thought it was so awesome, until someone stole it from me! :mad:

Ace82 said:
Yeah, I spent $100 on my first 165nm 5mW laser pen! Is was very powerful for it's time, I thought it was so awesome, until someone stole it from me! :mad:

165nm? Now that's some UV, so you couldn't see the beam? Where do you find a 165nm laser?

Razako

goldfingerfif said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1204047114/0#4 date=1204054146]Yeah, I spent $100 on my first 165nm 5mW laser pen! Is was very powerful for it's time, I thought it was so awesome, until someone stole it from me! :mad:

165nm? Now that's some UV, so you couldn't see the beam? Where do you find a 165nm laser?[/quote]
I'm assuming he meant 665 nm.

Ace82

165nm? what you guys talking about.... j/k, I fixed it...lol :)