Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FEELER : Phase Change Materials

Hi Guys,

Can phase change materials make it easier to build even smaller laser housings and operate really powerful diodes with small heat sinks? I think the answer is yes. Wouldn't it be great to apply to cooling power of ice at room temperatures?

A phase change material has a huge heat of fusion which allows it to absorb or release a large amount of thermal energy. The same way that water freezes to ice and absorbs alot of heat these encapsulated waxes do the exact same thing and hold the same amount of heat.
Some really cool uses would be packing this around pointers and heat sinked laser diodes to temperature stabilize them, and wildy increase the duty cycle of any laser
I think that mixing this with epoxy would have really interesting applications. your imagination is the limit.

here are the specs
Appearance
White to slightly off-white color
Form
Dry powder
Capsule composition
85-90% wt.% PCM
10-15 wt.% polymer shell
Core material
Paraffin
Particle size (mean)
17-20 micron
Melting point
37ºC (99ºF)
Heat of Fusion
190 – 200 J/g
Specific Gravity
Temperature Stability
Extremely stable – less than 1% leakage when heated to 250ºC
Thermal Cycling
Multiple

http://www.microteklabs.com/pdfs/MPCM-37D Product Data Sheet.pdf
The material is completely encapsulated and looks like powder.

The problem with this company is that they charge ridiculous prices for samples. Its like 200 dollars for a pound or two. I want to get together about 10 guys or gals who would like to chip in 30 dollars for 4 ounces shipped each. This would be enough to build a pretty hefty heatsink. 4 ounces = 100 grams*200j/gram= 20,000 joules heat storage. I chose 98.6 becuase it is sufficiently above room temperature to cool off. Please Reply or PM me. If I can get enough people on board I will Buy it and put it in bottle to ship out. 30 dollars is price shipped everywhere in the world. I will mark package as wax powder for customs.