Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feeding Voltage.

For 250 MW red lasers, or 300 MW blu-ray, how much volt do you feed? I made a housing of 2 AA batteries, would it be under power/over? and any harm? would it still be able to burn? or would the diode burn instead?

and also, which do you think is better that I should buy? (if im feeding 3 volts) should I somehow change to a larger housing to fit more AA batteries?
27394896.png

And I'm also not using a Driver. Are driver to limit voltage? should I get one?

Last edited:

Oh yes, you NEED a driver. To limit CURRENT (milli amps) going to the diode, or it will fry quickly, and your money will be wasted.

Please read this info, it will explain a lot to you.

Just NEVER EVER hook up your diode without a driver, it will cook, and you will get discouraged.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

so would my 3 volt power the 250/300 mw? and the aixiz laser driver I had would be useless right? (the one for 5mw)

what driver??

adjustable drivers will work fine, but you have to set the current to a safe level, or risk cooking the diode.

I went back just now and read all 4 of your posts, we really want to help you here, but PLEASE read that information, or if that is too much, hire someone here to build your laser for you.

cybercrash,
You should read through all the stickies and newcomer sections, they are not there just for looks!

There is much about laser diodes and their proper use you do not know.

Electronic components like LEDs and similar are easy to use because, at nominal voltage they draw their normal workign current due to their resistance.

Laser diodes, when provided their nominal voltage, draw A LOT MORE current then needed, which destroys them.
'Driver' is an electronic circuit that provides the needed current (not too much), at the nominal voltage of the diode.

You should search the forums and web in general for:
Flexdrive, LM317, DDL driver,
And later when you understand what it is,
Boost converter, linear regulator

Basically you need to provide the current source, not voltage source to the diode.