Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

FDA Regulations...?

JamTKD

So I don't really understand FDA regulations and whatnot. I see a lot of "you can't get over 5mw" but I see people on here and know people in real life who have 1W lasers shipped to their houses all the time (in the US). How does this exactly play in?

ARG

The FDA can't go through every package imported to the US, so it can't be enforced, but it's still illegal.

JamTKD

So what exactly happens if it IS found? what legal repercussions do you face? Do they just take the laser?

They are considered terrorist weapons and you will be taken to Guantanamo and you could be there for months if caught so plan accordingly.

steve001

So what exactly happens if it IS found? what legal repercussions do you face? Do they just take the laser?
A very hefty fine if the FDA decides to make an example of someone.

Everything you need to know concerning importation can be found on the FDA website.

steve001

Confiscation without reimbursement. A very hefty fine if the FDA decides to make an example of someone.

Everything you need to know concerning importation can be found on the FDA website.