Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FAQ

Chad

Holy crap, 1000 views. That's a bit for the short time it's been up.

So, has anyone noticed anything out of place, weird, or incorrect? I'm working on fixing it, and a few other opinions are always good.
Also, I'm going to do some serious revising of the DX/KD section. Don't yell at me.

What? You didn't get the rest of the FAQ crews permission! ;D ;D

Man when I was bored in Literature Class Friday I wrote a list of things to add to the FAQ, I left it in my locker. I'll get them tomorrow and post them here, you can judge if they should be added or not.

Chad

ok then... MAY I PLEASE edit the FAQ? I promise to be good! :D

Nah, I don't think you're qualified enough ;D

Here are two that I can remember right now.

What is Mode Hopping?
What is "TEM"?

hahah

hey us 3 should be able to modify it....but dunno, it shouldnt be a "thread" anymore then....

do it, no problem ;)

the TEM thing should be good...at the end of the guide, that's too technical (maybe we can explain why WL's are so bad :p, or link to spyrorocks' animation)

jk.

im kinda busy with college, so if you're gonna change anything please notify the "crew", but i'm sure you'll do just well ;)

go ahead.

"How do I install a laser diode into an Aixiz module?"
A short description and a link to rog1188's picture.

"Will my laser have more power if I remove the IR filter?"

Technically, yes. That is because crystals also absorb some green light (as we said, they are not 100% efficient), but you should never remove the IR filter! Would you risk your own eyes for 1 or 2mW. of extra power?

WOULD YOU??? ARGHHOMGGG

100290.jpg

Lens cleaning

The best two ways for lens cleaning is to use a lens pen or small bursts of compressed air. Do not blow, it will condense. Use a small pump.
There are other ways on the web, but do not trust those. In fact some of the methods can or will destroy the lens.
If the lens is scratched, then try to ask the seller for a replacement. The scratch can't be repaired. If you can't get a replacement from the seller or elsewhere, you can get a decent replacement inside a old camera or similar if you're lucky. But that would be the last option.

And lastly, don't think about if the lens is clean or not, because you might be fooling yourself and clean it in vain. The less you mess with it, the better the lens, it's that simple.

DL Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8MD295IFY4

Chad

niko - it's actually substantially more than 1 or 2mWs of power... It's generally 30-60mWs. It's tempting, but still not worth it.

FML - that's good.

And, we had a discussion about TEM modes. Let's resurrect that real quick.
Starting with the basics - Tranverse ElectroMagnetic modes. the numbers refer to some nasty math that determines how many beams the laser has, and where they position themselves. additions? (NO WIKIPEDIA!)

Chad said:
niko - it's actually substantially more than 1 or 2mWs of power... It's generally 30-60mWs. It's tempting, but still not worth it.

FML - that's good.

And, we had a discussion about TEM modes. Let's resurrect that real quick.
Starting with the basics - Tranverse ElectroMagnetic modes. the numbers refer to some nasty math that determines how many beams the laser has, and where they position themselves. additions? (NO WIKIPEDIA!)

i know, but we dont want newbies to be taking the IR filters off and creating "OH I HAVE ONLY HALF EYE LEFT!" threads

Chad

nikokapo said:
i know, but we dont want newbies to be taking the IR filters off and creating "OH I HAVE ONLY HALF EYE LEFT!" threads

...And lying to them is any better? We just need to explain the dangers, give them a slap on the hand and say "NO!". :p

Did anyone save my explanation of the TEM modes or shall I redo it? I'd just type it up again now, but after a last minute cram to replace a dead diode for a laser system I had to present to a company today, I'm a bit scienced out.

Chad

climbak - Yes, please. :)

I really need to start saving y'all's ideas before I put them in the FAQ... :p

Well if we didnt have to worry about hardware crashes we wouldnt need to worry about saving things. :p I'll write it up here in a little while after I relax some more, or tomorrow if I stay lazy. Do you remember if I needed to clarify anything or explain it a bit better?

JLSE

[quote author=nikokapo link=1208133995/0#6 date=1209500818]"Will my laser have more power if I remove the IR filter?"

Technically, yes. That is because crystals also absorb some green light (as we said, they are not 100% efficient), but you should never remove the IR filter! Would you risk your own eyes for 1 or 2mW. of extra power?

Here is a set of crystals held with a pair of tweezers. Needless to say it lights up quite a bit :)

Attachments

• P1080781.jpg
    P1080781.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 77

Chad

Clibmak - Naw, I think you explained it very well... It was one of the few collaborations I didn't feel the need to edit myself. ;D