Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eye protection

I just got a bunch of broken dvd burners. What sort of eye protection do I need before I start taking them apart and playing with the diodes?

Thanks for the link, gazoo. Is there any value at all in the infra red diode? Is it likely to be as powerful as the red but simply invisible? I suppose that wouldn't be as much fun. I'm curious though.

Gazoo

As I recall they only put out around 50mw's. But I think this also depends on the speed of the burner. Personally I have never messed with them because I don't have IR goggles. The red diode will always be much more powerful than the IR diode that comes out of any DVD burner... safer to play with, and a lot more fun... :)

IgorT

Gazoo said:
As I recall they only put out around 50mw's. But I think this also depends on the speed of the burner. Personally I have never messed with them because I don't have IR goggles. The red diode will always be much more powerful than the IR diode that comes out of any DVD burner... safer to play with, and a lot more fun... :)

Actually, i've seen the specs of one drive that had the IR LD stronger than the red one.. The red one was 225mW and the IR one was 280mW.

But in the drives i've taken apart they did seem weaker on the CCD. Then i took one out of a CD-RW combo drive (read DVD, but no write) and that one completely blinded the CCD even with the reflection from the table.

Of course i wouldn't recommend anyone use them. There's no point any way, while they can be extremely dangerous.

Gazoo

Then I stand corrected.. ;) But there is another problem with infrared from what I have read and this is focusing it. Of course I agree the infrared can be extremely dangerous, and even if they could be easily focused and all, I wouldn't use them. I like being able to see a beam..lol.