Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eye protection question on blue and green lasers

Texan

I have a noob question from someone who just acquired two lasers and safety glasses but I want to make sure I got the correct safety glasses for the type of lasers I have.

I have run these lasers for a total of less than one minute wearing safety glasses and have only seen the actual beam on video out of an abundance of caution.

My two lasers are:

Jet Lasers Dazzler 300-1000mW 532nm

A locally made 2.1 watt blue laser

My eye protection:

1. Jet Lasers goggles 190 - 540 mm OD + CE
(I bought these as part of a package with my Jet Lasers green laser.)

2. Eagle pair from Survival Lasers: 190 - 540 nm OD + CE
(These were recommended by the maker of the blue laser)

However, the Eagle glasses aren't near as "dark" when I used the lasers.

Are either of these glasses sufficient eye protection for what I have?

Is the darker Jet Lasers eye protection, although it's made for a green laser, good for the blue laser I have?

Could you direct me to where I might learn to educate myself more on eye protection.

I have read of the accidents from various posts and am extremely cautious by nature.

Thanks so much for your help and input.

diachi

Both of those cover the wavelengths of your lasers and offer sufficient protection. OD (optical density) defines how much light is blocked, the wavelength range tells you what wavelengths are covered at that OD rating. Darkness, or visible light transmission (VLT) isn't all that important. Although it's nice to have a higher VLT where possible.

An OD rating of 4 reduces the power of the beam by 10^-4, and OD rating of 3 reduces the power by 10^-3 and so on.

Last edited:
As long as the Jet Lasers 532 has an IR filter you're fine. I assume it does have a filter, but you may want to find out for sure.