Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eye damage

tatman

last night i read that there has never been a reported case of blindness which was caused by a laser. anybody else ever hear/read this? how could this be true?

Switch

Probably no one stupid enough to be so careless near a laser powerful enough that could blind you. :p

Razako

Lots of people have caused severe eye damage but it is a bit harder to actually cause complete blindness. A 100W IR laser would probably do the job but people tend to be more careful around those.

Complete blindness is not something that happens with visible and near IR laser. Because these wavelengths refract through the cornea and lens, they focus to a pin point on the retina destroying only a very small portion of the retina. What results are areas in the visual field that can be fuzzy, dark or both. The nature of how humans see almost guarantees that every injury as described will occur near the fovea, the most densely packed area of receptors in the eye. The degree of visual impairment is a function of laser output, time of exposure and the type of exposure.

Short UV, mid and far IR never make it to the back of the eye. They can cause complete blindness instantly if the exposure effects the entire cornea and lens or complete blindness over time as the cornea and lens attempt to mitigate the initial injury. Since short UV and mid/far IR are not optically refracted by the cornea or lens, they tend to ablate them instead. The result is a cataract from a severe burn to the surface of the eye. These conditions can be treated depending on the severity of the damage caused, by lens and cornea replacement. It is essentially the same surgery used for cataracts.

Never give a laser an even break. Always, always, always wear eye protection. You only have two eyes and they need to last a lifetime.

Switch

But you need a pretty powerfull mid/far IR laser to do cornea damage ::) I'm guessing that the receptors on the retina are much more easily damaged.

Amnizu

You don't a pretty powerful mid or far IR laser to do retinal damage. I have retinal burns from a CNI wickedlaser at less than 100mW.

Ace82

My theory, (and just a theory) is that the UV rays from the sun reflecting off of everything, the street, painted buildings, cars, etc. over time destroys our vision if left unprotected via polarized sun glasses. Even on a gloomy, muggy, cloudy day the UV rays are a form of invisible radiation. I can be in a room with a high powered laser and it doesn't hurt my eyes (without protection). No, of coarse, I'm not staring at the dot for longer then split seconds, and/or shining it at reflective surfaces. But who wants to even glance at the sun, or their bedroom light anyway? Kind of similar. However, the second I step outside without sunglasses, my eyes begin to water and I'm compelled to squint. As I've been taught, our eye lashes help protect our retinas from UV rays. I'm sure over time the deterioration of the Ozone has increased the UV radiation. In conclusion to my theory, if you don't wear sunglasses outside, how much harm can a laser actually do in comparison (of coarse, not direct exposer to the beam).

I don't think the absence of reported blindness due to lasers is caused from a surplus of caution or intelligence. Sight is measured in degree, so one with lots of unprotected exposer would gradually decrease their clarity of sight. Then a doctor can professionally use lasers to correct their vision :cool:. I’m sure there’s been much more cases lasers repairing peoples vision then destroying them! Lol, Just don’t try it at home!

“It is only an eye. God so gracefully gifted me with a spare.” Quote from 300.
I always wonder why people listen to extremely unnecessary loud bass in their car. Shouldn’t they wear ear plugs?

I think you should look up false analogy and division in the logical fallacy handbook.

Ace82

FrothyChimp said:
I think you should look up false analogy and division in the logical fallacy handbook.

Should I assume this comet is in regards to my theory? Because if so, perhaps you should explain EXACTLY what you mean. :-/

P.S. I don't come to LPF for egotistical intelligence battles. I play chess and Halo 3 for that! ;D

tatman

i wasn't trying to stir nothing up guys. as far as people being extra careful around any lasers powerful enough to cause harm- i say B.S., because plenty of people know guns will hurt you. and still there are a buttload of folks each year who accedently shoot either themselves or another person. the fact is no matter how careful anyone is there is ALWAYS somebody too dumb to not hurt themselves. and all the safety precautions, key switches, delay devices, and safety interlocks in the world can't save those guys. so maybe they aren't reported because they are blind...just can't find the report place.

Ace82

tatman said:
i wasn't trying to stir nothing up guys. as far as people being extra careful around any lasers powerful enough to cause harm- i say B.S., because plenty of people know guns will hurt you. and still there are a buttload of folks each year who accedently shoot either themselves or another person.  the fact is no matter how careful anyone is there is ALWAYS somebody too dumb to not hurt themselves. and all the safety precautions, key switches, delay devices, and safety interlocks in the world can't save those guys. so maybe they aren't reported because they are blind...just can't find the report place.

Nothing of your fault. I actually think it's a good topic. Perhaps not necessarily specific to reports of eye damage or blindness, but as the title says, “eye damage” in general. I have learned ALLOT from this forum by discussion. And by doing so, you must put yourself out there to get responses. But if someone is going to post something really vague in attempt prove something, I feel it should be better defined. Plus, I always try to first indicate that it is only my theory, or thoughts before stating a fact, unless I absolutely know for sure what I speak of is real and true. This is how most wars begin, with beliefs over religion and disagreements between cultures. Well I have learned that intellectual power derives from open mindedness. "Free your mind" - Morpheos - the matrix. For one who has closed their mind is a prisoner of themselves, or their own device. These things are taught as theories in psychology. I'm done. :)

Switch

Ace, your theory refers to damage through prolonged exposure to stray radiation while the original post kinda seems like it's about a "blindness caused by laser accident or misuse" sort of thing :-/ And, as you said, sight is measured in degree....so it's pretty hard to go completely blind by gradually being exposed to radiation over the years.

I don't know about your UV theory, but people's vision was screwing up 500 year ago aswell with age, it just happens....glasses were invented a long time ago.I don't know if our vision gets impaired earlier in the present though... :-/

People listen to exremely loud bass in their car because they're extremely cocky. :cool:

Amnizu,
I don't think wickedlasers ever sold CNI in the mid/far IR range.Besides, FrothyChimp just explained why a mid/far IR won't even reach the retina.

tatman, you can't really compare lasers to guns that way, because a buttload of people have guns all over the world, not to mention that guns are designed specifically to shoot at another person.Most gun injuries aren't accidents.While with lasers, way fewer have access to a kW laser, not to mention that you have to have some sort of qualification in order to be operating that.As for lower powered handhelds, it's pretty hard to go completely blind with them(was just discussed).
I don't say that their not dangerous, and don't exclude the possibility of accidents but guns are way more widely owned and used that potentially blinding lasers.Probably less than 1 person dies in space , but that doesn't mean it isn't the most hostile and dangerous environment in which man has ever ventured....it just means we do it very rarely, and the risk the astonauts take are extremely well calculated. ::)

Things

Blinding yourself with a laser CAN happen. It's just a matter of time. Once you have a vision spot, you have already damaged your eye and should be one hell of alot more careful with your lasers, you should be careful with them in the first place. you only have 2 eyes, if you have high powered laser, spend the $40 or whatever it is and GET SOME GOGGLES! Just imagine what it would be like to wake up and not be able to see anything, your life just got ruined...

Switch

Things said:
Blinding yourself with a laser CAN happen. It's just a matter of time. Once you have a vision spot, you have already damaged your eye and should be one hell of alot more careful with your lasers, you should be careful with them in the first place. you only have 2 eyes, if you have  high powered laser, spend the $40 or whatever it is and GET SOME GOGGLES! Just imagine what it would be like to wake up and not be able to see anything, your life just got ruined...
If you get a vision spot , are your eyes more sensitive? :-/ Or are you saying that you should be a lot more careful than before because you just got hit in the eye?

Amnizu

Switch said:
Amnizu,
I don't think wickedlasers ever sold CNI in the mid/far IR range.Besides, FrothyChimp just explained why a mid/far IR won't even reach the retina.

I wasn't referring to invisible lasers, I was referring to good old CNI greens.

Ace82

Vision spot? I don't think I've herd of that. Nevertheless, I USE MY GOGGLES while I operate any of my green lasers, well 95% of the time. If I said 100%, I'd be a lier. BUT, I'm no fool when without glasses. DON'T JUDGE ME! :p To me, vision is very precious, as is hearing. Just being outside without sunglasses hurts my eyes. I don't put myself in that position either way. Besides, I think my vision is decreasing due to too many video games :p - just kidding!

Switch, I like how you address everyone personally. And I agree with you. Comparing Guns and lasers is defiantly a "false analogy"! ;D

Things, let me correct you on one thing. Blinding ANYONE with lasers CAN happen! People don't accidentally shoot themselves with guns, they also shoot other people! :p ;D I'm a hypocrite! LOL <--- means lots of love!