Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Expert help needed for disassembled Aries laser

I have a few questions for the experts please...
The following pictures are of an inoperative disassembled LaserGlow Aries laser (I bought it this way) :).  When power was applied to the laser, the diode is just a dim led but the module does get warm as time goes on and everything else with the laser appears to work fine.  My guess is that the laser c-mount diode is dead :'(
Here are my questions:
1.  Can I remove the epoxy on the cover over the c-mount diode (I believe the cover contains the crystals) and then replace the c-mount diode?
2.  This was originally an Aries 50 that produced an average of 67.6 mW's.  Can I replace the c-mount with a 1000mW 808nm c-mount diode and get similar results?
3.  Do I need a 2000mW 808nm c-mount diode for these results or would I possibly get better results using this higher power diode?  The original diode may have already been a 2 Watt diode, I don't know.
4.  Would one of this size/shape be the replacement?  http://cgi.ebay.com/2000mw-808nm-la...ryZ53141QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like it would be a simple swap as long as I am able to put the cover back over the diode once replaced...  Thanks in advance and if you have any other suggestions please speak up :)

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

Re: Expert help needed for disassembled Aries lase

I'm no expert but I may be able to offer help...  :)

Firstly, the reason the diode outputs a dim red is because it is 808nm, which you already must know is near infrared.
Even if the diode is dead it is still likely outputting quite a bit of power so don't look directly into it.

The diode already in there should be a 1-1.2W diode.

You can test the diode to see if it still works by focusing it and trying to burn various objects.
Or even better, by testing the output power and current draw (if you have the equipment).

The diode can be replaced, but aligning everything may be difficult, and the problem may not be with the diode. You should diagnose it properly first.

Using a higher power diode may not work very well. If you over-saturate the crystals you can ruin them. Also, the higher power diodes operate on much higher currents (a 2W diode may lase at 1W with 1.2A applied, while the 1.2W diode will lase at 1W with 1A applied - these numbers are arbitrary but you get the idea) and therefore produce more heat. This means you may have some thermal issues.
You would also have to re-adjust the current the driver outputs to maintain stable operation.

The crystals are most likely located in the aluminum heatsink with the IR filter over it.

Kenom

I've just tore apart a Airies as well.  Mine was a lot easier to get access to the laser diode than yours appears to be.  Inside the place where the wires go to the laser diode you will see 2 screws.  Remove those should allow that mounting over the diode to come right off.  

Also if you have a webcam and want to get an accurate idea of exactly how well this diode is or is not working, turn it on while looking at the diode in the webcam will give you a VERY good idea of how much real light is there or isn't.  I assure you a 808nm laser diode even at 1W appears like a 5mw red.

Oh and the diode you specified should work. Even if your not going to utilize 100% of it's power. Although with only 60mw coming from that aries, it's safe to assume that only 500mw or so was coming from the pump (808)

If you take the crystals off the c-mount housing, look for lenses between the diode and crystal. If none, that might be an 808 which has an integral front lens built in. those are more expensive. :( I've run into both.

Mike

Thanks guys...  The item I have marked as the IR Filter is hollow and just slides over the module.  The item which is marked crystal cover has no screws but I know what you are talking about because a different Aries I have is constructed that way.  This model just has the cover epoxied over the c-mount.  I'll take another picture because you can see the green crystal inside the top of the cover.  Also, the light emitted wasn't really as bright as an led.  It actually looked like a red triangle that was not putting out any light.

DSC00170.jpg

In this next one you can see the green tint from the crystal, not the IR filter in the silver cylinder.
DSC00173.jpg

Kenom

I just took a ton of pictures of the one I tore apart.  This is helping me a ton with the DIY green Kryton host that I'm working on developing.  Obviously I'm not going to steal the exact setup they have here, but it's giving me ideas and general knowledge on the composition of a higher powered green laser setup.  I've no clue what the one I'm tearing apart was supposed to be capable of, but it's going to be fun, poking 808nm worth of light into the crystals and seeing how easy it is to get everything to lase.  {Pictures are forthcoming}

The one problem I see with removing that crystal set is that since it doesn't have anything lining it up like screws, getting it back into perfect alignment is going to be a bear! I like mine with the screws set into place so that everything is lined up perfectly. As long as I mount the laser diode into place exactly like it was before, it should lase fine. Yours on the other hand is going to be a bit more difficult.

Kenom

Both pictures are of the IR filter and lens directly under it.

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00001-1.jpg

I've come to find out that this is the Output coupler.  Alignment is necessary!!!

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

The next four pictures are of the driver and the keyswitch,  I was impressed as hell at how easily setup they have this keyswitch.  It's GENIUS!!  Just a simple momentary on with a mechanical trick to make the key depress it.

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

Next is the bottom side of the crystal setup.  The copper colored plate only has the ND:YVo4 Nice one too.

DSC00132-1.jpg

DSC00004-2.jpg

Then we have the KTP.

DSC00002-1.jpg

then we've got two pictures of the top and bottom side of the c-mounting.
DSC00131-1.jpg

DSC00130-1.jpg

The whole module assembled.
DSC00129.jpg

Nice pictures...the other Aries I have is built exactly like yours. Fortunately, It works great! I have disassembled another non-working laser that I know the diode is good. So I am going to try and swap the diodes and see if I get lucky with the Aries repaired :)

Ok...I replaced the diode and I am getting the same results.  It lights up but looks like a tiny red triangle.  No matter where I move the crystal cover nothing happens.  Do the crystals have to be in perfect alignment to get a green beam?  Does it take some time for this to happen?  I would think by slowly moving the cover over the diode I would get a result.  What am I missing?
It is possible the second diode is also bad, it was working intermittingly in the other module but I thought is was a fault in the electronics not the diode itself. But it is possible this replacement one is bad also???

The crystals need to be perfectly aligned for optimum performance. Also, get the proper goggles if you're gonna be doing alignments. I recommend using a camera to view the output through the various stages of realignment. 1064nm light is invisible to most cameras so it should give you a good idea if your Nd:VYO4 is aligned properly; 808nm however appears very bright on most cameras. The KTP is probably the trickiest to align. You will need to rotate the plate it's on until you get green. Continue rotating it until you get it as bright as possible; do not worry if it is still weak. Tighten everything down and reinstall the module into the laser but do not glue the silver cap on yet. Turn the laser on and verify that it is still outputting something; If it isn't you will need to take it apart and realign the crystals until you can get it to light up. Gently and slowly with both thumbs, press on the silver cap at different angles while looking at the dot. At certain points, it will drop and go up in intensity and will mode-hop. Continue pressing around until you have achieved the best possible dot and intensity. Then glue everything together...

Kenom

OK, I thought my diode was dead but apparently it wasn't. I moved the offcenter thingy which I now understand was the "output coupler" and lost all green mod hopping light I HAD. Spent an hour and a half trying to get it back to the place it was. Well not exactly cause that was what was causing the mode hopping. I got it in a better place and no more mode hopping and now I'm waiting for the thermal glue to dry... hehehehehehe.

Kenom

I just finished putting mine together and it peaks so far at 150mw

I'm starting to think mine was missing some parts. It seems to me that it is missing the output coupler and the KTP crystal. It looks like the only crystal immediately above the c-mount diode was the ND:YVo4. No wonder it doesn't work :eek:

Kenom

have ya got some more pictures of the crystals?  It may be that this particular unit instead of having the two crystals seperate are bonded together.  If this is the case, then the output coupler is not necessary as bonded crystals typically have the coatings for the output coupler directly on the crystals.  It puts all three of these units into one and makes it muuuch easier to align.  It also means it's not capable of as high a power as the three seperate units.  Could still theoretically get upwards of 150mw though.

It's sure looking to me to be that way with this one. Really the only way to know for sure is to get a good look at that crystal in that mounting.

i got one of those aries lasers  too it only puts out 7 mw though :(
i took apart i think the driver or the diode is bad cause i measured oupt on my kenometer it showed 70 mw then dropped to 19 quick i dont like messing with i/r so i just reassebled and let my son have it it puts out like i said 5-8 mw after the IR filter  :( it may only be a aries 20 mw i dunno  :-/

oh yea i am far from an expert just sharing my aries tales :D

Kenom said:
have ya got some more pictures of the crystals?  It may be that this particular unit instead of having the two crystals seperate are bonded together.  If this is the case, then the output coupler is not necessary as bonded crystals typically have the coatings for the output coupler directly on the crystals.  It puts all three of these units into one and makes it muuuch easier to align.  It also means it's not capable of as high a power as the three seperate units.  Could still theoretically get upwards of 150mw though.

It's sure looking to me to be that way with this one.  Really the only way to know for sure is to get a good look at that crystal in that mounting.

Here are some close ups with my new DSLR :)  Let me know your thoughts...

Top of crystal
Crystal.jpg

Bottom of crystal - I didn't make the scratch marks, must of been done during manufacturing???
Crystal1.jpg

Just a larger shot...
Crystal2.jpg