Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Experiences with NewWish Lasers

Hey just thought I'd post my experience and see if anyone can add opinion or fact to it.

The past 8 green lasers in the NewWish housings I have had really did not satisfy me. I know that for under $6 I should be amazed that they can even get green laser light out of them, but when the standard is not met, I cannot help but be disappointed. I think they need to give bigger exit apertures because upon close inspection (with goggles), only about half the beam is getting through. In some cases not even half!

Yeah yeah, you get what you pay for, but I just think the manufacturers should take this into account.

Oh and it seems like the new modules they are using, y'know the ones with the black focus lens, require like 3.7V to work with stability! So all these laser pens are unstable with low output when they could be better!

But come to think of it that's not a horrible thing because some idiot could get their hands on one of these and be using standard alkalines and it would be safer for the public for him to have an unstable low power laser.

Its only with their green lasers too, the 405nm blu-rays are amazing. I'd buy one any day of the week! Those are the real deal!

So yeah, add opinions and facts and your own experiences. I'd love to hear!

Have you removed the module from the housing for your testing? I don't recall there being any kind of optics or other stuff that impede the beam once it leaves the DPSS module. Those 532nm lasers have much narrower beams at aperture than diode-lasers, so what you're observing may just be the nature of DPSS lasers.

I have one of them at about 100mw the beam is hair thin line for about a meter then at about 3 meters its about 3in. Ugh! I think 30 bucks for it from focus price when they still had them and a 405nm too the 405nm is the best one to get.

Have you removed the module from the housing for your testing? I don't recall there being any kind of optics or other stuff that impede the beam once it leaves the DPSS module. Those 532nm lasers have much narrower beams at aperture than diode-lasers, so what you're observing may just be the nature of DPSS lasers.

The lens and exit aperture on the silver cap are not aligned correctly is what I'm getting at. The beams are crooked and the silver caps' holes are too narrow to allow the full beam to pass through.
Yeah I have taken the caps off and you see a full circle on all of them so its not a problem with the modules' dots but instead a housing issue. I might end up drilling out all their caps.

I have one of them at about 100mw the beam is hair thin line for about a meter then at about 3 meters its about 3in. Ugh! I think 30 bucks for it from focus price when they still had them and a 405nm too the 405nm is the best one to get.

Yeah my 405nm pen is really powerful. I got real lucky on it! It's upwards of like 65-70mW

Last edited:
The cheapest greenie I've purchased is my opto 5, the reason for that is everyone I know of who's messed with the cheap ones could've paid maybe double the price, but received triple the product. I love lasers and it hurts me to see such poor craftsmanship, it's like a waste of crystals.

That being said, my opto 5 is newwish style, and while it preforms perfectly every time I push the button, but that style of host is just lightweight and cheap feeling, not to mention total lack of features like being able to access the aperture to clean it... A viper style clone even has that ability. :(

The cheapest greenie I've purchased is my opto 5, the reason for that is everyone I know of who's messed with the cheap ones could've paid maybe double the price, but received triple the product. I love lasers and it hurts me to see such poor craftsmanship, it's like a waste of crystals.

That being said, my opto 5 is newwish style, and while it preforms perfectly every time I push the button, but that style of host is just lightweight and cheap feeling, not to mention total lack of features like being able to access the aperture to clean it... A viper style clone even has that ability. :(

I like my viper-esque clone. Its my favorite green laser I've had. I have yet to buy a nice green laser. I just get NewWish ones from time to time if I have a spare couple bucks or if its one of those "free shipping on orders over $XX.XX" and I'm a few bucks short.

For me DPSS just doesn't hit home. I think diode lasers are just more reliable and I don't have to worry so much about crystals, filters, IR, stability.

But to each his own! If I had access to exotic DPSS wavelengths and had money I'd collect them, but for now diode lasers are my cup of tea

I've had absolute terrible luck with NewWish style pen lasers. The hosts are the main problem, not the modules inside them.

1) I bought the $70 50mW 450nm pen from Laserlands. Within a few weeks the host literally fell apart. The press in threaded ring that joins the two sections of the host together and carries the positive feed popped out. I pressed it back in but the batteries provided enough pressure to pop it out again. So, I removed the module (which has the cap screwed on to it, not pressed in to the host) and built the laser module into a DIY project box host. Eventually I'll get a nice lens (aixiz 3 element) and build the laser in to a nice host. It is a boost driver and can take 4.2V just fine so I'll make it a single 16340 build. Maybe a second Phobos host if I feel like buying a $40 host for a $70 laser. Still though, the host fell apart.

2) I've had various NewWish style 405nm pens and all have died due to either the driver not being supported and only held on by the diode's pins, so when you press the button you're stressing the pins, from no heatsinking, or died from a drop of 2ft on to carpeted floor. Only one died from the drop, but about four died from diode pin breaks or other stress related faults like broken inductor lead, and one VERY bright one burned itself out.

3) I have the Laserlands 100mW 658nm pen which was only like $16, and it shoots out the beam exceptionally crooked, at about a 20degree angle off from centered on one axis, and 10degrees off from centered on another axis. I also had to drill out the endcap because the beam is 5.5mm in diameter at aperture and the stock aperture was only about 3mm diameter. I think that after I LPM this thing if it is actually <100mW I'm just going to take it apart and use it's module for something else or resell it on the cheap.