Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Expensive hobby?!

Vision

I just ordered the new 1W 520nm from Sci-Fi.

That, plus the 7W + 2X 0D7+ Googles @$149 EACH = $1048.

Getting almost as expensive as my watch collection, well...not even close, those are in the thousands but still..Damn.

And I gotta get that 589nm from DragonLasers soon. + NUBM06E or 08E Bank.

Last edited:

Yes indeed my friend! At first I thought you said "water collection". I was like ...... Ok lol :crackup:

589nm is around $500 so about half the price but not cheap by any means :(

-Alex

Vision

At first I thought you said "water collection". I was like ...... Ok lol :crackup:

-Alex

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

3-BARREL-OPTIONS_500w.jpg

Razako

Yeah, I've spent a fair amount these past few months trying to finish my planned collection. Good news is I'm nearly done.(Save for highly impractical/unobtainable pointers such as 561nm/671nm DPSS red etc).
Still need:
class IV 405nm(on order from Sanwu)
class IV 662nm and 665nm(ordered from sci-fi about a month ago_Hopefully they get here soon_)
589nm(had to send mine back to DL for replacement)
561nm(Good luck to anyone seeking one lol. They seem to be unobtanium for the most part)

Last edited:

Razako

Just ask CNI for a module. They'll still sell those to members in the US I believe :)

-Alex
They do, but the price is something like $1000 for a 30mw module. Then If I mess up putting the module in a host and ruin something I get to go feed my head into a wood chipper:undecided: Too bad the group buys for those pens never worked out. I think it was something like $260 each for 5mw pointers. From what I understand CNI was just lazy and didn't feel like dealing with the hobbyist community anymore. They didn't fill out the proper customs paperwork or something.

Last edited:
It can bankrupt you some times some lasers are crazy expensive. Gas lasers are nuts

They do, but the price is something like $1000 for a 30mw module. Then If I mess up putting the module in a host and ruin something I get to go feed my head into a wood chipper:undecided: Too bad the group buys for those pens never worked out. I think it was something like $260 each for 5mw pointers. From what I understand CNI was just lazy and didn't feel like dealing with the hobbyist community anymore. They didn't fill out the proper customs paperwork or something.

Yeah unfortunately. CNI's pens(GLP's) weren't priced too badly to which was quite nice.

Some members have acquired a 561nm pointer. Maybe they might let you rent it? :D

-Alex

Last edited:
HAhahahaha!!!

DPSS 561 are case possitive and already have a driver.(you can choose the standard square or circle shape). all you need is a separate contact board...

Razako

HAhahahaha!!!

DPSS 561 are case possitive and already have a driver.(you can choose the standard square or circle shape). all you need is a separate contact board...
Well when you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad:D. Still pretty expensive though.

I just ordered the new 1W 520nm from Sci-Fi.

That, plus the 7W + 2X 0D7+ Googles @$149 EACH = $1048.

Getting almost as expensive as my watch collection, well...not even close, those are in the thousands but still..Damn.

And I gotta get that 589nm from DragonLasers soon. + NUBM06E or 08E Bank.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you get it this year.

I also want a 06 or 08e block and plan to use beam shaping optics and that has me thinking about the beautiful NUBM07E, those sky blue diodes are still strong at 4-5 watts and the line height and length is tighter than the nubm44/nubm06 with a 3 element or G2.

I have another nubm07e diode on the way and I will test my Cly pairs with the Gball on the 07E, if it makes a tighter spot them I may do a block of those, they would look awesome bright, we just give up a little power, but not near as much as with that 1w 520, because 5watts of 470 looks as basically as bright as the 1w of 520 but also burns way better, a block of 07E...WOW, it should look like hand held lightning bolts.
Just a thought, I will post results later.

Last edited:

Vision

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you get this year.

Still haven't got the first laser I purchased from him in Feb...
:can:

because 5watts of 470 looks as basically as bright as the 1w of 520 but also burns way better, a block of 07E...WOW, it should look like hand held lightning bolts.
Just a thought, I will post results later.

That sounds interesting! Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Just from exploring around the internet a little bit, I can see how expensive this can get. After just a few purchases, you can easily dig a $1,500 hole in your bank account. It really is for the hardcore laserers :p.

Maybe I am just spoiled, I get lasers from DTR that are ready to use modules in 2-3 days, diode, module, lens, and driver all hooked up in a 12mm module ready to use, I can literally connect 2 wires and slip it into the host and that's it.

Now he has 22mm modules that screw onto a vape mod battery tube, if you can screw in a light bulb you can build a laser, I wish I had thought of it.

Heck, you could have a custom made flashlight with a 510 threaded connector and collect red, green, blue and 405, even 465 and just screw in the one you want, I can see a little case with the flashlight body and all the 22mm modules, just pick the color you want and screw it in. A whole high power laser collection in a back pocket size case.

Last edited:

Pman

I've got about 75 or so watches myself but haven't bought one in awhile. I think I have enough other than a t100 lumen watch and maybe a smart watch. If I got a smart watch it would ruin why I have "real" ones to begin with so I'm not looking into them.
There is a watch thread by the way;)