Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Energy Consumption

Hi Laser Guys,

I'm a newbie for laser topics here :D

I just want to ask, how much specifically does red laser pointer energy consumption? and how much energy output does it emit?

:) thx again!

IIRC, current is proportional to output as ~1:1 so with a voltage of about 3V, that makes most red diode lasers about 35% efficient.

Hi Laser Guys,

I just want to ask, how much specifically does red laser pointer energy consumption? and how much energy output does it emit?

I believe you are asking about battery life? IE:energy consumption
That depends on your lasers power and your driver efficiency, also battery storage capacity, expressed in mAh (Milli amp hours). The more power your batteries can "hold" the better. A large one can hold 100 X the mAh of the smallest ones.
Expect anywhere from <2 minutes run time, up to 20 hours or more.

As far as power ,how much do you want and at what wavelength?
A rough formula for figuring out the cost of different laser powers Vs.cost is as follows:
25 cent a mW for 650nm (red)
70-80 cents a mW for 532nm (green)
$1-$1.50 per mW for 405nm (Blue-Ray/Violet)
Visit the B/S/T (buy, sell ,trade) or the Laser Pro Shop section to check out some prices and specs. Most seller's will tell you how long the batteries last, right in their post..

Last edited:
I believe you are asking about battery life? IE:energy consumption
That depends on your lasers power and your driver efficiency, also battery storage capacity, expressed in mAh (Milli amp hours). The more power your batteries can "hold" the better. A large one can hold 100 X the mAh of the smallest ones.
Expect anywhere from <2 minutes run time, up to 20 hours or more.

As far as power ,how much do you want and at what wavelength?
A rough formula for figuring out the cost of different laser powers Vs.cost is as follows:
25 cent a mW for 650nm (red)
70-80 cents a mW for 532nm (green)
$1-$1.50 per mW for 405nm (Blue-Ray/Violet)
Visit the B/S/T (buy, sell ,trade) or the Laser Pro Shop section to check out some prices and specs. Most seller's will tell you how long the batteries last, right in their post..

Yes, that's also what I mean... :thanks: So, if I have two 1000mA.h battery (AAA) and it works at 30mA, how long will it hold? 30 hours?

:thinking: Hm.. Can you give me how to calculate the power (W) I'll use with a certain red laser pointer? in this case, 650nm and I use AA battery with 3V voltage and the output around 5mW... How much is the input power?

Last edited:
Hi Laser Guys,

I just recently made a new LOC build,

It is using DDL style driver with 1117 regulator chip.

It's input is 8.4 V @470 mA current draw.

So, it is pulling around 4 W of electrical power.
The diode is outputting just above 300mW before lens,

So there is around 3.6 -3.7 W of heat to dissipate.

Efficiency? Not good on ANY laser.
But who gives a crap? Igniting matches 4 meters away with the dot the size of a match head: priceless!

I just recently made a new LOC build,

It is using DDL style driver with 1117 regulator chip.

It's input is 8.4 V @470 mA current draw.

So, it is pulling around 4 W of electrical power.
The diode is outputting just above 300mW before lens,

So there is around 3.6 -3.7 W of heat to dissipate.

Efficiency? Not good on ANY laser.
But who gives a crap? Igniting matches 4 meters away with the dot the size of a match head: priceless!

:topic: nice! that's answer my question then... thx a lot!

:topic: nice! that's answer my question then... thx a lot!
No problem

Also, when calculating your heat dissipations, note that driver and diode are seperate topics here.

For instance:
In my red laser, you have 8.4 V input (two lithium ion cells, 4.2 V each fully charged) and 470mA draw.
That is around 4 W of consumption, however,
The diode needs 3 V and 470mA, so there is around 1.4-1.5 W of diode power consumption.
Meaning, the driver is around 2.5 W and diode 1.5 W of power consumption,
Therefore, the driver is heating up more than the diode itself.

No problem

Also, when calculating your heat dissipations, note that driver and diode are seperate topics here.

For instance:
In my red laser, you have 8.4 V input (two lithium ion cells, 4.2 V each fully charged) and 470mA draw.
That is around 4 W of consumption, however,
The diode needs 3 V and 470mA, so there is around 1.4-1.5 W of diode power consumption.
Meaning, the driver is around 2.5 W and diode 1.5 W of power consumption,
Therefore, the driver is heating up more than the diode itself.

:bowdown: thx a lot dude