Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Electronic techinical question?

Dave88

Hi guys,

Long time viewer; first time poster.

This is a complete noob question but I have a very limited knowledge of engineering principles and hopefully some of you will be ably to help, here goes.

I live in the UK and am a member of a target shooting club, the sight I currently have on my pistol is OK but not great. I have a 405nm and 532nm laser pointer which I bought off eBay. I would like to use the 405nm pointer as a sight but the pistol's barrel isn't long enough to accommodate the full laser pointer so I thought if I could unscrew and separate the battery end and laser end and connect the along the barrel parallel to each other then they would fit quite comfortably. My question- is there anyway I could connect the power half to the actual laser end using wire etc.

I understand this is a complete 'tit' of a question but I have trawled the net for the last few nights for info on the subject and haven't found any.

Thanks
Dave

Electricity doesn't care how a connection is made, as long as it's made - be it a contact spring or wire, it's pretty much the same regarding the operation of the circuit.

However another question is brought up - generally, if the laser isn't specifically made as a targeting sight for a firearm, it's a bad idea to use it as one. Lasers are surprisingly fragile pieces of technology, and they will not stand the weapon's recoil forces, at least not for extended periods of time.

532nm DPSS modules more so than others, the crystals inside get knocked out of alligment if you look at them the wrong way on Mondays.

So while in theory you could re-organize a laser's setup to accept an external power supply, you're looking at several practical problems - it'd probably be a bulky and fragile setup, and even if it weren't, the laser module itself probably won't last to see tenth magazine.

That's precisely the reason targeting lasers are expensive, and unfortunately that's what you need to look for.

Electricity doesn't care how a connection is made, as long as it's made - be it a contact spring or wire, it's pretty much the same regarding the operation of the circuit.

However another question is brought up - generally, if the laser isn't specifically made as a targeting sight for a firearm, it's a bad idea to use it as one. Lasers are surprisingly fragile pieces of technology, and they will not stand the weapon's recoil forces, at least not for extended periods of time.

532nm DPSS modules more so than others, the crystals inside get knocked out of alligment if you look at them the wrong way on Mondays.

So while in theory you could re-organize a laser's setup to accept an external power supply, you're looking at several practical problems - it'd probably be a bulky and fragile setup, and even if it weren't, the laser module itself probably won't last to see tenth magazine.

That's precisely the reason targeting lasers are expensive, and unfortunately that's what you need to look for.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Dave88

Thanks for the replies Eudaimonium/Billiam; very much appreciated.

I did have the idea of casing a 9v Duracell PP3 and using some snap connectors to connect it to the case housing the actual laser.

My next question would have been regarding the recoil effect on the laser, which you answered :beer:

Just out of interest though, would it be possible to connect the two separate parts together using snap connectors?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies Eudaimonium/Billiam; very much appreciated.

I did have the idea of casing a 9v Duracell PP3 and using some snap connectors to connect it to the case housing the actual laser.

My next question would have been regarding the recoil effect on the laser, which you answered :beer:

Just out of interest though, would it be possible to connect the two separate parts together using snap connectors?

Thanks
If the other end of those snap connectors is REALLY well soldered...

But for that you need to completely take the laser apart and solder on the laser's regulation electronics directly, soldering to spring is not ideal but can be done... but soldering on the laser's case is impossible because of heatsinking effect.